1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Better than decent headphones

Discussion in 'Monitoring & Headphones' started by pr0gr4m, Jul 9, 2008.

1. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Distinguished Member

Feb 9, 2005
    South Florida
    Home Page:
    I use the ubiquitous Senheiser MD-280 and Sony MDR-7506 headphones but the coverings on the ear and head foam seem to disintegrate rather rapidly.
    This shows the earpads completely gone on one set and the headfoam part degrading (blurry) on another.

These headphones are great for what I need them for but I really can't stand that they are falling apart. Is there anything I can to to prolong their life or are there some cans I can buy that won't have this problem?
  2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    I can't find those liquid filled ear cushions for my numerous pairs of KOSS PRO4AA's either? What gives? I mean WTF? It was bad enough when they leaked down the side of my neck while trying to mix. At least they should have the courtesy of replacements awaiting me? But no.

I can however obtain a new headband. New ear cushions. New ear cushions foam inserts. New cable. All of which I need. For my West German, Sennheiser HD545's (made in Ireland. Right. That's what I said?) More than $100 in parts and certainly more than the cost of what I paid for the headphones originally ($10 at a flea market in Fort Lauderdale in early 2000. So I guess I got my money's worth?).

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my.......
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  3. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    Actually, I think you could take some Silicone caulking (your choice of clear, white, black, blue, red, silver or mixed together to create new colors, at Home Depot. You can do it. They can't help.) carefully spread over your old deteriorating foam cushions, should be both comfortable, pliable & provide a good Seal. Just make sure you don't kiss a Rose unless she says OK.

WARNING! ALLOW TO DRY FOR 24 HOURS BEFORE WEARING. That is, unless you are doing heavy metal in which case, put the headphones on immediately after applying.

Ms. Remy Ann David
  4. barrettexas

barrettexas Guest

i have a pair of ATH-M50's that i give vocalists that i'm really happy with. the rest are all Senn's.
  5. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Moderator

Feb 23, 2005
    Are you using these in the studio or live? The 7506's are OK for live but are too bright to record with, IMO. The 280's sound better, but Sennheiser's newer gear isn't very tough. I would suggest Grado SR-80 phones in the $100 range. They sound great and are very comfortable. Plus, Grado sells parts for them and they don't rip you off in the process.
  6. vdrummer

vdrummer Active Member

Jan 21, 2007

You can send the Koss back to the factory and they will fix anything for around $7.00. I sent mine back in several years ago they had a bad cord. I can get detials if you like but your a big girl you can figure it out. Love all your great remarks.
  7. robbiusa

robbiusa Active Member

May 29, 2007
    Pontiac, MI
    Do you mean the Senneiser HD-280? If so, I think RemyRAD's suggesting you replace the pads is a good one. The pads and the cords can be bought separately and are replaceable on those, albeit with a little more work than on some other models of headphones.
  8. DonnyWright

DonnyWright Guest

I love these. Very comfy. great sound.
  9. DIGIT

DIGIT Guest

AKG, Audio Technica and Beyer are my favorite.

It also depends on what your record, how loud you expect the talent level to be and consequently, the level of isolation you need.

Usually, you'd have at least one pair with super-isolation for louder instruments and/or people who really like to listen to their cans LOUD and then, a pair for more subtle work.

For example, when I record my classical guitar(s) I like to hear a bit of the live instrument sound so, I actually use semi-open cans in that situation but, I also listen to the tracks at a volume that doesn't interfere with the mics in the booth.
  10. zemlin

zemlin Distinguished Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    Home Page:
    Maybe this is an option:
  11. Piccadilly

Piccadilly Guest

I have a pair of these as well, and they're amazing. If you look around (eBay) you can find them new for $90. They list for $150.