1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Beyer Dynamic Ribbons

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by Dan-O, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Dan-O

Dan-O Guest

Looks like a very small windfall has come my way and the mic bug has bitten. Ribbon's are what I said I was going to get next...Sooooo...a
    question(semi-directed to Nathan since I know he uses them)regarding Beyer Ribbons.

I'm looking mainly to throw one on guitar cabs, combo's and horns.(among other sources)
    Between the M160(hypercardioid) and the M130(bi-directional), I seem to be leaning toward the m130. A peek at the freq. chart looks like a nice gentle rise in the upper mids. Not to mention that it would seem this pattern has preference with other well known ribbons used on many a recording I love, i.e Coles, Royer. (Not trying to compare the Beyer to these just the pattern.)

Not ever having experience with one I thought A post was in order.

Thoughts?

Dan-O

BTW, no one around here has any in stock for me to try. Nor do I know of anyone owning one.

BTW, BTW if anyone knows were a good deal one is please let me know.

2. Dan-O

Dan-O Guest

I also meant to ask about the output level. It will see Vintech, API, Focusrite. (among others)

Dan-O

3. danchilde

danchilde Guest

I've used the m130s only a few times, but use the m160s a lot. I love them.

With all due respect to the freq plot, I find them to be bright and lively. I love them for loud rock guitar, for upright bass, trumpet, and sax. I especially like them for drum overheads for an old school jazz drum sound.

Enjoy your new mics!!

D.

4. miketholen

miketholen Guest

great mics.
    either will please you. you'll have these mics for a looong time.
    a tad bit "strident" on guitars but can be useful just for that.
    I like them on horns, mostly.
    all around a great mic for the dough. ;)

5. anonymous

anonymous Guests

One of the nice features of my Royer 121 is that it is very forgiving if I accidently plug it into a preamp with phantom power left on. Since I'm very forgetful that way, I'm a little scared of the older ribbon mics that are blown up by phantom. Anyone know which category the Beyers would fall into?

6. Dan-O

Dan-O Guest

Very interesting. I had imagined that the ribbon would have a softer, smoother top then mentioned here. Darker even. Our have I misunderstood.

Excellent point. Anybody?

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful.

Dan-O

7. Scott Gould

Scott Gould Active Member

I have an M130 and an M260, and I definitely wouldn't characterize them as bright. And they are definitely "modern" ribbons in that phantom power doesn't bother them at all. The output is rather low, but I have yet to plug them into a pre-amp that couldn't get a usable level out of them. (You might want to avoid pre's that get noisy when cranked real high, though...)

Scott

8. dynamo12

dynamo12 Guest

I'm with digitmus saying that M 130 is not a bright mike. Then again with some preamps seems to open up a little but is still far, in my opinion, in being " bright"
    The freq. plot of M 130 is totally flat and you can hear that for sure.
    Dan-o, is M 160 which has a light peak on the mids not the M 130.
    Phantom is not an issue. THIS ASSUMING WIRING IS CORRECT.
    Beyer's are great mikes and you'll sure be happy. Jo

9. Dan-O

Dan-O Guest

I probably have them backwards. I'll take another look on the Beyer site.

I really am leaning toward the M130. The bi-directional pattern is what has my interest here. The combination of the pattern's proximity effect and ribbon smoothness is what I think I'm imagining here. Creamy but detailed.

I'm also not discounting finding and old Reslo, but hunting up a good one might prove daunting.

Dan-O

10. tubedude

tubedude Active Member

You know, I see tons of posts everywhere about where to get this and that cheapest, blah blah blah, but I never see any mention of who has the Beyer ribbons at the best price. Most of the places I normally gaze at dont have them at all. Anyone?

11. Dan-O

Dan-O Guest

I would love to know were the deals on Beyer stuff are at. Beyer just emailed me back with a price quote of $750(retail). Even with the standard 30% cut(sometimes more) I can get out of a retailer it might be worth my while to wait and pick up a royer.

Anybody know of the Beyer hot spot?
    Ebay sometimes has a M160 up for grabs, but I've never seen the M130 up there.

Dan-O

12. planet red

planet red Active Member

I thought there was a royer price hike?

I was thinking about a pair of beyers ($1100) and figured i might as well save up and get a matched pair of coles that I can get for $2000. From hearing all the mics described the coles seems to be what i want.

13. tubedude

tubedude Active Member

I looked at Sweetwater 1st, and they have the M160 for $595, they are ususally pretty representative of what you'll pay from the average dealer. 8th street will usually top most online dealers right off the bat, but they dont have any Beyer mics at all, nor does Musicans Friend according to thier website.
    Hmm, no go at zzounds, either.
    These seem rather hard to find for a production mic.

14. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

There's www.musiciansgear.com, but you have to ship it back to Germany for warranty service. If they still made the plain 260 and not the 260.80, I would say why not, because you'd send it to Stephen Sank to get the DX mod if you blew the ribbon, anyhow.

BTW, anyone tried to undo the hpf in the 260.80?

Bear

15. Dan-O

Dan-O Guest

I have been keeping eye out for this mic as well. I understand this mod you speak of is quite good. RCA type good.

I haven't seen the announced price hike reflected in any of the pricing yet. Now might be the time to strike before it does.

Dan-O

16. Dan-O

Dan-O Guest

Hey Bear, the link you gave is no good. Do you have another by chance?

O

17. LittleJames

LittleJames Member

Hey Dan-O the appropriate link is

http://www.musicians-gear.com/

Be sure to call your credit card company before you purchase anything to check and see what the charge for converting Euro's to Dollars is. Sometimes you'll get a better deal, sometimes it's cheaper to by it in the States.

Good Luck

18. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

I have an M260 that was sent to Sank for his mod. It came back sounding nothing like the original 260. I've plugged it (after mods) into a Daking 52270 which has phantom on all the time and it didn't blow up. You'll want a mic pre with a lot of gain, even on a cranked guitar amp I find that I need to add maybe 30dB of gain to hit 0VU. I normally add about 60-65dB when I use it as a room mic for a drum kit. Contact Beyer and find out who the dealers in your area are. Like most of the better gear, you won't find them in chain stores.

19. Dan-O

Dan-O Guest

Jay Kahrs

Do you(or anyone)have the contact info for Sank by chance?

Dan-O

20. Dan-O

Dan-O Guest

Never mind I found it. I really should have learned by know that a simple search can yeild great results. DUH/ Thanks.

Dan-O