1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

beyer OPUS 88

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by rockstardave, Oct 22, 2009.

1. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

what do you know about it? have you used it? on stage or in the studio? compare and contrast to other common snare microphones.

thanks!

-dave g

2. Spase

Spase Active Member

I am in the market for some drum mics myself(Toms and kick really). I have been looking, and there's not a whole lot of reviews on these or the 87s. The specs look nice. I was thinking I'd get these or the Audix D2/D4s. The Ds get some good reviews here. I would be using them for Live mostly, but want something that will work in the studio as well. I'll probably get an RE20 for the kick.

3. Spase

Spase Active Member

I finally picked some of these up. From my first week of use I have to say I really like them. They sound great, and they are the easiest mics to put on a tom ever. The clips mount on a rim with ease, and those drums with the floating brackets that block the rim, and don't take the e604 clips take these no problem... as easy as a rim without them. I think I'll pick up a few small chunks of rubber so I can try them on horns too... bet they'll sound great there. So I put them on 4 toms and a snare tonight, and I'll be putting them there from now on, unless the drummer has 5 toms, then I'll have to use my ATM61HE - which I really like on snare anyways.

Anyways, if you can find any of these - and I got them on clearance so there probably discontinued - they do seem to be a very nice drum mic. Time will tell if they are just good, or if they are great.