1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Blue Firefly deluxe

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by xcessbass, Jan 9, 2006.

1. xcessbass

xcessbass Guest

I had posted a couple days ago re large diaphram condensors and i was in Buffalo and i drove past a Guitar Center and they had a used Blue Firefly deluxe limited edition mic on sale and the sales guy was awesome and dropped the price a $100 to 689 and this things in mint condition. From what i understand this is the u67 capsule inside.

Anyways a long story short

This is a wicked mic at any price but at less than half of retail this is one incredible deal. I tried out the Neumann TLM103 and the 414xl II and none of them sounded as smooth and buttery through a mackie mic pre ( yes it actually sounded good through the mackie I do have better preamps in my studio)

Definitely check out this mic!!

:D :D :D
  2. jonnyc

jonnyc Guest

Do you mean the Dragonfly? I'm a big Blue fan and have never heard of a Firefly. A 100 bucks off is nice but don't fool yourself into believing any one charges "retail". 799 is the max you should pay for a dragonfly. Also if there is a U67 capsule inside it isn't a Neumann it would just be Blue's replacement version of it, and I've never heard a dragonfly owner claim it had a u67 nor have a seen any literature on their website making those claims. All that said it is still a great mic.
  3. xcessbass

xcessbass Guest

my mistake it is the dragonfly

I appologize it is the dragonfly delux I read in a review that it was a U67 capsule but either way it is an incredible mic. I have never heard such a sound and I just tried it through a mackie Onyx preamp . I have a custom preamp from ARM (http://www.appliedresearchandmarketing.com/)
    Its a tube mic pre based on the DW Fearn pre. Im going to test it out tonight and see how it sounds.
  4. jonnyc

jonnyc Guest

Well I'm betting you'll be impressed. Let us know.
  5. bounce

bounce Guest

Yes, the Dragonfly Deluxe is a different beast from the Dragonfly and I believe is usually around $1299. Great deal there!!
  6. numrologst

numrologst Guest

Ditto on the dragonfly deluxe being badass. I found a deal on ebay a few months back for a matched pair for $1500
  7. stickers

stickers Active Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Lowell MA
    Home Page:
    this past weekend at my live sound a guy brought in dragonfly to mic the piano we have there with and i mentioned the deluxe version and he said that the one he has is one of 5 made that owner of blue made himsself with the U67 capsule...why on earth he would use it for a live gig is beyond me. Although a few weeks before the same guy used a 414..damn thing picked up everything but he wanted to use it...

im sorry for live performances for rock/pop piano when drums are playing on the stage too, a LCD just doesnt work..to much bleed. id rather stick a 57 in one of the sound holes on the harp of the piano.
  8. giles117

giles117 Guest

I have a deluxe and it is a wonderful mke.