1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Blue Grass

Discussion in 'Recording' started by tripnek, Sep 28, 2003.

1. tripnek

tripnek Active Member

Jun 9, 2003
    I'm thinking of venturing into the Blue Grass world a bit. Looking for anyone who has experience recording this style. Any tips would be good. Particularly what mics you like for what instruments and mic placement on said instruments.

2. 1511

1511 Guest

I only have a few mikes; KM84, AT4033 and a Rode NTK. When I record my dobro, the Rode wins out over the 4033 a little and the KM84 is best as a second mike, when possible.

I usually place the Rode between the screens and coverplate just below the 1st string; and about 12" away. For more aggresive sounds move the mike toward the bridge and away for more mellow tones.
  3. robchittum

robchittum Guest

I just checked out some of your links, and I am interested in hearing your music. I may have to save up and get one of your CD's. I am in Johnson City, TN and really looking to record primarily bluegrass and acoustic music. I am using Oktava MC-012 matched pair for guitar, mandolin, and banjo, and have an AKG C1000S that I use some for instruments and vocals. I am using a Studio Projects T3 for vocals (and love it). I would love your thoughts on must have mics, and equipment for recording bluegrass. I am using Nuendo, Sytek MP4ii mic pre... I am considering buying a matched pair of AKG C414's for stereo recording fiddle, cello, and drum overheads. What do you think of that mic? or others you would recommend.