1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

bm6a

Discussion in 'Recording' started by IanW-UK, Nov 8, 2003.

1. IanW-UK

IanW-UK Guest

Anyone own a pair of dynaudio bm6a? I'm thinking of getting a pair. I had the chance of getting some bm15as at a really good price but I went with a pair of mackie 824s because they were cheaper (yes I know :roll: ). Now I'm not happy with the flabby low end. I think the bm15a would be too much for my relatively small control room so the bm6a look like a better bet. I'd like to hear from anyone who owns a pair. How well are they translating for you? I will of course be trying them out first but it's always interesting to hear opinions of people who already own em.

Cheers,

Ian........

2. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

Since the mackie´s are "smiley" ( lots of bass and highs), whenever I receive a PT CD data ( quite common nowadays) I need to work around 3k, 80 and 12k so that it sounds more focused.
    CAn you save some money and go with the BM´s?

3. IanW-UK

IanW-UK Guest

I can afford to get the bm6as if I sell the mackies yes. There's also a pair of ns10s going near me but I can't afford both. I don't think I'd like to work with ns10s alone hence the dynaudios.

So you think it's a good idea?

Cheers,

Ian.....

4. Screws

Screws Active Member

I had the Mackies. First project I tried mixing on them drove me crazy trying to get the low end to translate well.

A true friend and recording comrade (hey Dean, love ya!) loaned me his BM6a's and I ended up loving them so much I bought a pair of my own.

What a difference!

5. IanW-UK

IanW-UK Guest

Thanks Screws, so how does the low end compare to the 824s? Anything that you feel is specifically better on the bm6a's? Anything I should listen for when I try a pair? etc :D

Cheers,

Ian........

6. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

While I tout the NS10s a lot, I don't think I would want to have to do a mix on them alone. I would need a set of larger monitors to switch up to to check the ultra highs and lows. NS10s are da' bomb if you have large mains also . The Dynaudios may be a bit light in the lows due to their small size but as you point out you are in a small CR so that may not be a bad thing. NS10s are out of production and at some point it will become difficult to find replacment parts (save 'em for me). :D

I reviewed the new Yamaha MSP 5 powered monitors and I was very impressed with them. Yesterday I recived a pair of the Yamaha MSP10s and I will begin evaluations with them soon. A review will be pending if I like them.. stay tuned. In the meantime, it is very difficult to go wrong with anything from Dynaudio..

7. Alécio Costa - Brazil

hey friend, look for the BM5´s or the BM6´s passive.
    At least you will be with very decent monitors.

8. IanW-UK

IanW-UK Guest

Thanks Kurt, I was interested to read your review of the msp5's. I looked at the specs and they're tiny!! Do they really have nearly as much low end as your tannoys? I'm not saying I don't believe you but I have to admit I find that a little hard to believe given their size :D I'll have to check em out. Also the frequency response graph seems a to show a fairly inaccurate response, (+/- 5db is that not bad?) and the old smiley curve. Nevertheless I'm intrigued, I'll have a listen when I go and try the dyn's.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of those msp10's too.

Many thanks,

Ian........

9. IanW-UK

IanW-UK Guest

Thanks Alécio, any particular reason for the passives over the actives?

Damn I've just seen a pair of bm15a's for £500 too!! :d: That's tempting

Cheers,

Ian......

10. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Hi friend. In fact I have seen lots of controversy in this subject. Some folks advised me to go with the passive models and buy a real fancy amp.

Others told me it would be hard to match such a perfect "marriage" between the factory combi (amp + monitor). You´d better check for yourself.

The BM5s, their entry model, is already much better than the Monitor Ones and Mackie´s.

11. IanW-UK

IanW-UK Guest

Thanks Alécio, you've been most helpful mate :) All that's left is trying em.

Cheers,

Ian.......

12. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Ya wellcomed Ian
    :)

13. Kurt Foster

Ian,
    Yes the MSP5s had remarkable low end considering their size. A week after I sent them back to Yamaha, I popped a woofer in my NS10s.. and I began to wish I had bought them from Yamaha Corp., in spite of the fact that they didn't offer any real discount to me (par for the course).

I unpacked one of the MSP 10s last night and was looking over the frequency response chart and it is far flatter than the MSP5s were. Almost completely flat plus or minus a dB, with a slight dip between 1K and 1.5K ..

I will be listening to them in the next week or so and I will keep the BB posted on my first impressions..

[ November 09, 2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Kurt Foster ]

14. IanW-UK

IanW-UK Guest

I look forward to hearing what you think of them Kurt. I read another review of them a while back (sound on sound I think) where the guy said they sound a little like the mackies :D

15. Kurt Foster

I just got back from the music store where I had to pick up some XLR cables to interface the MSP10s to my Nakamichi 410 preamp. I will be hooking them up today and listening to some mixes as well as some favorite CDs ... more to come.. Kurt

16. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Kurt, today is sunday!stores opened ´til evening?

17. Kurt Foster

The sales hacks at Guitar Center got no religion .. open 12 to 6.. :D

18. Jonesey

Jonesey Active Member

I just got a set 2 weeks ago and they're wonderful. They translate very well. They do make a matching sub for those but I feel I do not need it. I don't have any experience with any other monitors except the event tr5's and what a difference. You don't realize how good they are until you see how well they translate to other systems.

Jonesey

19. Alécio Costa - Brazil

I think they do have a religion: believe in Money, Money, Money....

20. IanW-UK

IanW-UK Guest

Thanks Jonesey, do you mean the bm6a's or the yammys?

Cheers,

Ian.....