1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Boss BR-8 question?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by alstonblues, Aug 8, 2009.

1. alstonblues

alstonblues Guest

Hey guys i got a serious question

Ok so im using a boss-br 8 multitrack recorder to record my music

does anyone know how to get the music from the card (the memory card/disk that is used on the recorder) onto a cd-r or cd-rw

thanks

2. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

Not sure if your unit has the disc burning ability and I'm a bit too tired to research it at the moment, but my Fostex 8 track didn't. I had to hook it up to my computer via USB and send the individual tracks once they were finalized. Then I burnt them to disc via my computer. If your unit doesn't have cd burning built in then I'd suppose you'd have to do the same thing.

3. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

You could add a zip drive to a computer and then you would be able to read the disc on your computer if the finalized file was a recognized format like .wav.
    http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/HP-Compaq-344060-001-750MB-Internal-ZIP-Disk-Drive/3496586/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11566290
    There are also two types of output based on the specs supplied at the Boss website RCA stereo and digital optical so you would probably need some type of interface connection. I assume but don't really know that the optical is probably s/pdif but this type of card if you have a desktop computer will do either for about $90.00
    http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=10447&nav=technicalSpecifications

You would also need an optical cord or RCA stereo cord if the Boss did not come with one.

4. alstonblues

alstonblues Guest

ok so what did u use guitarfreak to hook the recorder up to the computer?

i have a 10' chord with a usb on one end and a 1/4" male on the other end...
    would that work?

5. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

And how will the analog stereo signal pass through a mono cord and become digital at the USB port? Maybe there is something here I am missing but this plan is dubious at best.

6. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

It's a cheap AD converter cable. I am doubtful.

Guitarfreak's machine had built in a USB port. You have a built in Zip disk slot.

7. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed I used a USB cord, but not your typical. I think it was usb a at one end and usb b at the other. Something to the effect. One was more or less square, and the other was the familiar rectangle shape.

8. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Actually, that IS the normal USB cord.

9. alstonblues

alstonblues Guest

ok so what kind of cable would i need to upload my song from the disk to the computer?

10. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

That is the issue I covered in my first response your computer will NOT interface directly with the Boss unless the computer has an equivilant optic input, so it is not just a simple matter of a cable. Sorry I know that isn't what you want to hear but it is the fact. Reread my other post re:zip or Emu!

11. alstonblues

alstonblues Guest

ok so what if i hooked line (red&white) cables to the recorder...then hooked the end up to a sony cd burner

would the cd burner/copier copy the recorders music onto a cd?

12. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

If the cd burner accepts rca cables (the red and white outputs) then yes that will work. Link me to the cd burner and I can tell you for sure.

13. alstonblues

alstonblues Guest

ok heres the link

[b]http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Microboards-CWL6200-CopyWriter-Live-CD-Recorder?sku=244126[/b]

mine is very similar to this one...it has 2 decks, rca inputs...the works

14. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Try tags instead of tags :p.

15. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

yes. You're on your way to world wide fame.