1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Budget Mics and the 20db pad question...

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by empri330, May 9, 2007.

1. empri330

empri330 Guest

I went into my attic and pulled out a couple of my first mic purchases and I was wondering what my recording Guru's Think of the possibilities> I was also wondering...(I Feel so retarded for asking this)What the hell does the word pad mean on my mixing board and in these microphone reviews I keep reading? By the way I'm also going to be getting that Presonus BlueTube in the mail in the next couple of days and I was wondering what you guys thought about it as a preamp...I want it all, Give it to me straight, the good the bad and the ugly...beacuse what I'm thinking is that with a good vocal performance and some precision engineering I can make up for a tiny bit the disadvantage that my inexpensive equipment places me at.
  2. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    A pad on a microphone is an attenuator for reducing the output level (or the input level if on a mixer) when dealing with very loud sound sources to avoid overloading the preamp input stage.

The BlueTube is OK, but even a roomful of the most expensive audio gear isn't going to compensate for sub-standard engineering. The corollary of this is that good engineers can make even inexpensive gear sound good.

As for the mics in your attic, well.... give us a clue as to the make and model and someone may be able to comment.
  3. Rod Gervais

Rod Gervais Active Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Central Village, CT

This is a forum about how to construct studios -

I'm gonna move your post to somewhere more appropriate for the questions you have.

4. empri330

empri330 Guest

Thanks Rob. Im sorry for the inconvenience. but thanks for what you've taught me just the same.