Building a new Drum Room

Discussion in 'Acoustics (Live Room, ISO Booths)' started by Jason Morris, Mar 19, 2018.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Jason Morris

Jason Morris Active Member

Well, according to the John Sayers folks, those sections where there is no continuous sheathing are not really a weak point, because you have 5 1/2" of timber. I'm not sure what the density of 5 1/2" of pine is vs 5/8 OSB and 1 1/4" of drywall.

In any case, my inside-out ceiling should be done soon and I can provide some insight into whether it was a success or not.

kmetal and pcrecord like this.
  2. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    The reason i ask is because in Rods book, in the section about massing up the existing ceiling, where drywall is placed in between the bays, he cites the weak point of the assembly's isolation as the studs themselves.

I presume it has to do with density, a continuous seal, as well as the properties of wood which make it a good conductor of sound, drums, guitars, ect are all made of wood.

Ive never seem test data for an inside out assembly, where i have seen plenty for standard iso walls, many of which are freely available in the USG handbook.

Im not claiming the inside out method isnt effective, i am curious as to how effective it is relative to a standard assembly. I also submit that wrapping the framing with drywall wouldn't make the assembly worse based on what i understand. How much improvement or if its necessary or not, i dont have a conjecture on until i can see some test data on the performance of the inside out ceiling. Maybe someone over at JS has some? Totally not being an A$$, im just not super well versed in this method, and i know Stuart and John, are bright minded individuals.

Jason Morris likes this.