1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Building a PC for pro tools 002R 6.7...help!

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by bossa, Dec 30, 2004.

1. bossa

bossa Active Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Yep, I'm gonna try it. I don't really see what I want out there as a complete unit, but I see alot of options.
    I am really going to need some help on this, so feel free to chime in with solid info. :D
    I know I need 2 hard drives (but I'm not sure which ones) and I could live with 512 RAM (again, not sure which one). DVDRW seems important to include for storing info and doing back-ups. Obviously firewire and USB 2, and CDRW.
    I don't know if the choice of manufacturer makes any difference on alot of this stuff, but I see warnings about "chips" not being compatible.
    I know that the more slots the mobo has, the better.
    I'm not sure about "cache" size, and I'm not sure if I should go with AMD (which is athlon...I think) or Pentium 4.
    I want it to be rack mount with the silencing stuff added and the quiet fans, but haven't found that available online yet as a kit.
    I guess a separate power supply is good, but I'm not sure why, except that maybe I could put the power supply in a different room?
    I have up to about $1000 to blow, and this is going to be the best fun I've had since...well....since old Zeke got stuck in the fishin' hole. But that's another story, he he he... :cool:

Thanks for all and any advice, even the guy that thinks I should sell the protools and start over!

let the sun shine in 8)
  2. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Sounds like a previous generation Dual G5 Mac would be easier and cheaper! :)

Just to help a little:
    - I suggest a minimum of 1 GB RAM. The more the better, 512MB is not enough.

- Hard drives can be any 7200 ATA or SATA drive. Almost anything that is commercially available are plenty fast enough for much more than a 002 can do.

- Making one of the drive removable is a good idea.

- Pro Tools LE runs fine on my 1GHz Powerbook G4, so any 1.8 GHz or faster CPU in a new system will be fine.

- LE is limited to 32 tracks at a time. Just find reasonable speed parts and that are known to be reliable in normal PC applications and you will be fine.

Good Luck!

P.S. My home built PC that I use for Gigastudio cost $1000 more than the dual 1.8 GHz G5 I use to run PT HD TDM. Go figure.
  3. bossa

bossa Active Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Thanks for your help Steve. I'm taking notes.
    I haven't seen many Dual G5's available online or I might have been tempted.

4. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Try the Apple store (on line or physical store) and look for refurbs.

I paid $1899 for a new Dual 1.8GHz. I added a SATA drive for $80.

That was all I needed.

A Home made PC should be fine though if you can get all the extras under that price.

5. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Houston, TX
    You spent $2899 on a home-built PC? Woah! That must be on hell-of-a PC? I only spent ~$800 (plus monitor and RME PCI Soundcard) on my brand-new 3.0GHz Shuttle XPC wth 1 Gig of low-latency Dual-Channel RAM and the 915 Chipset w/PCI-Express 16x capability, and it runs Nuendo like a champ. Whatever floats your boat. I just can't see spending over $2000 on a computer - be it Mac or PC. $1000 will get you a very nice PC IMO.

6. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2004
    Quakertown PA
    I'm with you on this on Randy, My DAW was well under a grand, P4 2.4, 1 GB Low Latency RAM, 80 & 200 GB SATA HDD's, Plextor DVD/RW. My gaming rig (P4 3.2) was $1500 and the video card was over $500 of that. Earlier this year I built a custom flight/racing simulator with 3 flat panels for a client and that was a little over $2700. $1500 will get you a state of the art PC, another $500 will get you a great monitor, what more do you need.