1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Business Insurance

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by Downhome, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Downhome

Downhome Member

Haven't seen this addressed on any audio forum yet. I have accumulated a lot of audio gear. Have progressed from a pure hobby to a small business that supplements my retirement income. Since all my equipment is being used to generate income it is not covered by my homeowner's policy. My studio is in my home though I do a lot of remote recording.

Is there an industry trade organization that offers good insurance policies for recording studio owners? Or does anyone have suggestions of companies they use?

I'm sure many folks who visit this site have a lot of money invested. One good burglary or fire could put you behind the eight ball. This is a very important aspect of the recording business I have yet to see addressed anywhere. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

I use Erie Insurance Group for my business policy. It includes a portion of all-risk (floater) coverage which means no-deductible, all-risk coverage for named items (mainly the stuff that goes with me on remotes) and a standard policy for the remaining hardware and property. In addition, it has a $1Mil liability policy with it (which comes in handy since most of the venues I record in require this).

I think I pay roughly $750 a year for the coverage - well worth it!

Cheers and welcome!
    Jeremy

3. TVPostSound

TVPostSound Guest

http://www.musicproinsurance.com/

They can sell you a policy just for your gear, on or off the road.

Plus they offer Liability fire etc through Hartford.

4. basilbowman

basilbowman Guest

I get all of my insurance through the AFM, dunno if that'll cover recording gear though, but it covers my instruments from just about everything.

5. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

I don't think AFM covers pro audio gear. I've got my horn insured through them for a very reasonable rate, but I don't recall seeing or hearing of options for pro audio gear.

6. basilbowman

basilbowman Guest

Do they do live sound PAs or amps? I didn't have anything then, and don't now, so it's not an issue for me...