1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Business minor + music major + other skills = ???

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by hxckid88, Jul 27, 2006.

1. hxckid88

hxckid88 Active Member

So, I'm going to a four year university. San Jose State University of California. I'm already liking it and my first class hasn't started yet. I'm going to be a music major, I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but I am going to learn what I can. I really want to be an engineer. Recording people's music, making my own music, opening up my own studio, etc. Everyone wants to do that right? And before you open your mouth and put me down about how hard it is or how unrealistic or unstable it is, I'd like to just say a few things, then I'd LOVE to hear your opinion.

I really wanted to go to Berklee to finish up school there, or go to a music school, but I've heard so many stories. MI was ghetto, Berklee is far and expensive, the ones in San Jose, CA don't have that great of a reputation... I don't know what is worth it. But I do know WHAT I will be doing, and I'm off to a good start I believe, thanks to my parents.

I will be going to school, getting my general ed done, taking music classes, jazz ensemble, studying jazz, composition, etc. I wanted to take a few economics and marketing classes. Business minor... ya know.

I'm not sure how much I like to be taught "how to record," I record my own music and I love the learning process, I'm recording a new band this weekend, a metal band, and it should be fun since I working with new compressing equipment that I've never used. So I'm not sure if I want to take any advanced "music technology" courses.

I was reading this book, its called Rich Dad, Poor Dad, might have heard of it or read it. And it inspired me to do something more than the average person, to not be stuck in the "rat race" as he says the middle class does. In these times its not just get a good paying job with benefits anymore, it's more than that. Of course, I want a high paying job, but what can I do with my education, my skills?

Can I work for a record label with my business and music skills? Being a marketing expert? And record bands on my free time for extra cash? Provide instruction for the youth? Work at a school and be a jazz instructor? I mean, man I can do SO many things with this, right? I will NOT limit my mind. I will NOT limit my capabilities. But I don't want to be stuck being a private instructor, for those that do that and love it, fine, but my goals are different.

But heres what I'm really asking. There are some people on this forum... My age, 18, up to 25, 35... in their 40's and 50s? They have been in the music business, they have been recording, they have worked for record labels and witnessed how ecommerce slowly evolved and how the internet plays a huge part in the music business, marketing, etc. Myspace anyone?

What can you suggest for a person like me? It's not about specializing anymore. At least in my opinion. What if I only learned how to record? THEN how can I get a job? A reliable job? I think what is right for me is to go to a university, do what I love, major in music, and learn some more skills in business, plus, some extra skills I can do at home by recording bands, making my OWN music. I know myself more than anyone else, but it doesn't hurt to gather some insight or hear from others with experience. So if you have a general thought about this topic, something you'd like to share with me, or people like me, I'd appreciate it! I'm excited for the new move and the start of my advanced education. Thanks!

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

Well it sounds like you are a smart and creative person? You've obviously got ambition and drive. So when it comes to working in the music/studio business, being creative is an absolute necessity so I think you are well underway in the right direction?

Some of us didn't have the ability to go to college. I've taken many technical training courses and seminars and also decided to be creative in engineering and production. And so since I am good, I managed to stay employed in the broadcasting and recording arts and sciences field as a full-time venture, for over 36 years. But unfortunately the studio business is sort of like an uncertain endeavor. Studios go in and out of business as often as situation comedies come and go on network television. I've built quite a fine remote truck 15 years ago instead of buying a house. Now I have an old remote truck and no house. At least I'm working in television again, which still allows me to do some music and rock-and-roll production. Can I interest you in a good used Neve console? I have 2, they're small, only 36 inputs each.

Bigger is always better. Size does matter, as long as it's under 6 inches
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. hxckid88

hxckid88 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I do understand, many people, like my parents, didn't get to go to college. I'm very fortunate to have even graduated from a private high school, going to a good college, not to brag or anything, but my dad, having not went to college, worked very hard, hard enough to where his investments can solely pay for my college.

I think thats why I want to take that route, just so I don't end up working hard like my parents, doing something you're nearly forced to do. I love recording, and I can see myself doing that. But like you said, businesses come and go, things change, the people, technology, and therefore the industry.

And I just might be interested. Private message me with more details =)

EDIT: By the way, this isn't a "Tell me what to do and what to buy" thread, this is a, lets discuss this topic and see what we can get out of it? If anyone has any input, feel free.

4. MadTiger3000

MadTiger3000 Active Member

Network.

Learn.

Network some more.

Continue to be ambitious.

Network some more still.

Always value your professional and personal reputation.