1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Buzz MA2.2 vs Phoenix DRS-2

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by jazzgitter, Dec 19, 2002.

1. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Guest

I'm considering these two preamps for our studio.I'm wondering if anyone owns both or has used both of these for a comparison.3D mic pre shootout made a comment about the Buzz having the biggest open sound of any pre they have tried. I've heard people say the same about the DRS-2.Anyone?
  2. Rumblemix

Rumblemix Guest

Pheonix Audio pre is amazing.

I could go on. I won't.

RM. :c:
  3. 20db.com

20db.com Guest

Steve, the Phoenix is a good preamp and I am sure you can get more feedback from Rumblemix or other users but it is very different sounding from the Buzz.

Even Phoenix represent the DRS-2 as a...Discrete Mic Input Technology which gives a "valve-like" sound. This is more of a Britsh sound but it is transformerless and not quite as Neve-ish as say the Great River NV.

The Buzz is very transparent and smooth. Incredibly musicial and it really shows off the first time you record an acoustic guitar.

I think Mike Jasper said it best over in another forum...
    The MA-2.2's ability to responsed quickly (slew rate) and the frequency response of 2Hz to 250kHz is a few of the reasons you get that openness you are asking about.

Both are very good pres, but very different.