1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cable Company Greed

Discussion in 'Accessories / Connections' started by Tommy P., Apr 11, 2002.

1. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Well-Known Member

Looks like Time Warner is calculating a new model to suck more cash out of users of cable modems. Other monopolies ( like Cablevision, what I use), will probably follow suit. I don't know how it would affect musicians.

Link

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Doh!!! Time to start thinking about DSL
    Opus

3. Nick Driver

Nick Driver Guest

I'm on DSL and I absolutely love it.

1.5Mbps down and 768kbps up, with static IP address so I can run my own domain server.
    If you're looking at DSL, check with your small local ISPs first, since the big giants (telcos usually) have nefarious terms-of-service agreements that prohibit you from ever running a server unless you pay them big $$$ for a commercial account.

4. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Now, I've always wanted to go DSL but that made my roomate say the hell with them, and said to research it...so now the fun part begins! I found Speakeasy.net which from what I've read all good things except that they are a litle pricey..indeed they are but not by that much really. It's like 10-20 bucks more than most "local" providers depending on what package you get as well.
    http://www.dslreports.com
    gives you all the nitty gritty of each company.
    I think I'll convince my roomate to go with them tonight and see what he says!
    Peace and the hell with Cable Internet!!!!!! :p
    Opus

5. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

I am using a cable modem (Insight Broadband), and it rocks! I have had no problems, and so far no bandwidth related charges. I just cannot access email remotely (from a hotel when I travel for example).

Cable really flies!

6. SonOfSmawg

SonOfSmawg Well-Known Member

DH .. that's easy to fix ... don't use their email. Set-up your email on Yahoo or Lycos. Problem solved!