1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cable Company Greed

Discussion in 'Accessories & Connections' started by Tommy P., Apr 11, 2002.

1. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Looks like Time Warner is calculating a new model to suck more cash out of users of cable modems. Other monopolies ( like Cablevision, what I use), will probably follow suit. I don't know how it would affect musicians.

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Distinguished Member

Apr 7, 2001
    Doh!!! Time to start thinking about DSL
  3. Nick Driver

Nick Driver Guest

I'm on DSL and I absolutely love it.

1.5Mbps down and 768kbps up, with static IP address so I can run my own domain server.
    If you're looking at DSL, check with your small local ISPs first, since the big giants (telcos usually) have nefarious terms-of-service agreements that prohibit you from ever running a server unless you pay them big $$$ for a commercial account.
  4. Opus2000

Opus2000 Distinguished Member

Apr 7, 2001
    Now, I've always wanted to go DSL but that made my roomate say the hell with them, and said to research it...so now the fun part begins! I found Speakeasy.net which from what I've read all good things except that they are a litle pricey..indeed they are but not by that much really. It's like 10-20 bucks more than most "local" providers depending on what package you get as well.
    gives you all the nitty gritty of each company.
    I think I'll convince my roomate to go with them tonight and see what he says!
    Peace and the hell with Cable Internet!!!!!! :p
  5. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I am using a cable modem (Insight Broadband), and it rocks! I have had no problems, and so far no bandwidth related charges. I just cannot access email remotely (from a hotel when I travel for example).

Cable really flies!
  6. SonOfSmawg

SonOfSmawg Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2000
    DH .. that's easy to fix ... don't use their email. Set-up your email on Yahoo or Lycos. Problem solved!