1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

CAD equitek e100

Discussion in 'Recording' started by rockstardave, Jun 23, 2007.

1. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

Mar 3, 2006
    hey i'm thinking about picking one of these cheapo's up. has anyone used them? what did you think? thanks.
  2. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Moderator

Feb 23, 2005
    I guess this depends on what you use them on. I have a pair that I use at a church for "contemporary" choir (12-18 vocalists), as well as on horn sections for live Latino big-bands. and somethimes as OHs. I have alternated this pair against a pair of Rode NT5s, so this is what I can tell you:
    (A) The E-100s have a better low end (duh) which helps pull up the male voices (fewer than the females) in a choir scenario. The NT5s seemed to have a bit more "sheen" on the top end.
    (B) The E-100s do well as drum OHs IF you are not using individual tom mics, once again due to their LF response. Otherwise, it's the NT5s.
    (C) The E-100s do well on horns and amp cabs. I mix them up with RE-20s, 421s, and ATM25s for the brass sections. Very clean, tight pattern.
    This brings up (2) caveats:
    (A) The E-100s are HYPER-cardioid which can help improve isolation over many "normal" LDC mics. This is a good thing. Also, mine don't have the shock suspensions, but with the HP filter switch, I've never missed having them.
    (B) The E-100 uses an internal ni-cad battery in ADDITION to phantom power (!). I forget their reasoning, I believe that it has to do with 'boosting' the current to the internal electronics. Anyway, I've never had to replace the things. I have read that you should check them for potential battery leakage, so if these are older, you might do that.
    Overall, I'd say that they are a pretty good bargain...