1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

CAD Triton Ribbon Mic

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by DonnyThompson, Apr 25, 2014.

1. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Anyone used one of these?

I have an engineer acquaintance who is liquidating some gear in an effort to pay some medical bills...

CAD Triton 7000 dual element Ribbon Mic

He wants $129 for it.

Is it just another one of those cheapies? It's made in the U.S., I've never had the opportunity to use one.

Thoughts?

2. DonnyThompson

No one, eh? LOL...sorry, just giving it a bump because I need to decide today. :)

I'd rather not throw the money out the window, just for the sake of owning a ribbon.

But my inclination is that for the $130 he wants for it, it's not a huge gamble.

There were many nights in my somewhat tainted past where I spent a lot more than that on stuff that disappeared in just a few hours.... ahem...uhmm... just sayin'. :rolleyes:

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

will he let you try it first?

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

What do you want it for Donny? guitar?

5. DonnyThompson

Kurt.... it's been sold to someone else. I waived off on it because I just didn't know enough about it. And, my current mic pre / audio I/O is likely too shy for the power that a ribbon would need, anyway.

Truthfully, my first thought was to simply have a ribbon mic in my locker for any number of possible applications, considering that it was only $130 - but - that got me thinking too, quality-wise, in that what kind of mic would only cost that little?

Guitar (amp) came to mind; I've used ribbons in the past and have been happy with their performance on amplifiers.... but I was also thinking it might be cool to use as the fig 8 in an MS array too... I k now many people prefer matching mics (like 414's) for an MS rig, but I've used different models before with great success as well. The 10k top-out didn't bother me. I can think of plenty of applications where I wouldn't need to rely on reproduction that high in the bandwidth.

I can't afford any of the tried and true ribbons right now... the Royers and such are just too far out of my current price range.

I'm not upset though, I have seen them since on ebay for not a whole lot more than what he was asking. In fact, several online stores have them at around $160... new. So it's not as if I turned down something rare, or a once in a lifetime deal.

:)

d/

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I just remembered a mix I did for someone with that mic Donny and the vox sounded like wool. Really low mid dominant. Exactly what you don't want for vocals imho. It was near impossible to do anything with it that made me happy.

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

my bad, you weren't thinking this for Vox right?

8. DonnyThompson

Thanks for that info, Chris. Yeah, I wasn't really thinking of using the mic for vox. I'm not against using a ribbon for vocals, I've recorded many vocal tracks with ribbons in the past that sounded fantastic, but they were all models like Royers, Beyers, and AEA's... based on the low price and specs of the CAD, I wasn't expecting it to sound like any of those. ;)

My main intention for its use was really more along the line of using it to mic guitar amps. I've used less expensive ribbons on amps before with really nice results. (Of course, the amp itself plays a large part of that sound, too). ;)

I had also considered the possibility of using it as the Fig 8 in an MS array for things like percussion, horn sections, etc.

It doesn't appear as though this would have been a good buy for me, and from what I'm finding out from reviews and what you've said, I'm kinda glad that I passed on it.

I'll have a nice ribbon at some point, but for now - with the limited money that I have allocated for gear, and considering the other more important improvements I need to make (along with personal bills like taking care of my Mom) - it will have to wait.

d/

9. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

I've helped out a guitarist friend of mine, over the years. I've done plenty of recording for him. Sold him an Auditronics 110-8. He liked my Beyer's but couldn't afford those so he got the Triton 7000. It sounds like a ribbon microphone, for sure, when you want that sound. It was more reminiscent I felt of the RCA BK 44's then it was the 77 DX series or, the Beyer's. So Chris was right. It was dark and woolly. I think it would be great on an amplifier that was already screamin' too hot in the high-end? Thankfully, Darrell didn't play like that. So we used the Sennheiser he had. I don't have one but, the little square one you can drape over the amplifier so easy, 409. And I didn't like those two together either. It got too fat. Worked better as a room microphone. (Even the 57 with it, didn't cut it. I tried.)

So the 409, was used by itself, in the end.

I mean draped over the guitar amplifier.
    Mx. Remy Ann David

10. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Donny, if you're looking for an inexpensive ribbon mic, I bought this kit not long ago for 399$ US : http://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Microphones-HEAD-Blumlein-Brown/dp/B0047DWTCS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398691707&sr=8-2&keywords=cascade fathead

Of course they are not Royer's, but they do exactly what I wanted them to do, get a signal with warm bass and thame hi frequencies.
    I combine it with a SM57 or a 421 which sometime lacks of what the fathead offers.

11. DonnyThompson

Thanks PC... those actually look familiar to me, I might have used them on a session in the past. I don't remember if I did, but I do know that I would have remembered them if they had sucked. LOL :)

Do you have any samples you could post where you used the Fathead?

12. pcrecord

I just made one for you.. keep in mind I'm not a guitar player..
    A sample is nothing without comparing it to something you know so I made a sample with the fathead and one with a sm57

View: https://soundcloud.com/pcrecord/sets/sm57-vs-fathead-with-isa-2-on

13. audiokid

audiokid Staff

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslutz-secondhand-gear-classifieds/922965-la2a-bryston-4b-sst-td4-eventide-eclipse-tab-v71-beyer-m130-bluestripe-1176-kit.html

14. DonnyThompson

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this PC... Neither one sounded worse than the other, just different. I thought the Ribbon track was "creamier", whereas the 57 had more edge and bite. Certainly either one is perfectly usable.
    But I really do like the smoothness of the ribbon.
    I'm really intrigued by the tonal possibilites of using two of these in a Blumlein array.

Thanks for the link, Chris. There's no doubt that the Beyer is a good deal. I'm gonna have to save up some more money and then make my decision as to which way to go.

15. pcrecord

The good thing about ribbon on a cab, is the possibilty to blend it with other mics. The Amp and settings I used were already warm but the ribbon helps alot with strident amps/cab, it makes them more bearable ;)

Blumlein array is another thing I could test. (could'nt with a sm57 because it's not a figure of 8) Also, maybe I'd combine a condenser and a ribbon on a cab. (not 2 ribbons which would make the sound a little too dark)

I could Also make a M/S test !!

16. DonnyThompson

I don't know about "dark"... that may be so, in that the top end of ribbons is traditionally lower than condensers, but I bet a Blumlein on an amp with two fatheads would sound pretty nice - depending of course, on the style.

17. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Take care when thinking about an M-S configuration made up from different microphone types. Ribbons are inherently velocity-sensitive and condenser mics in cardioid are pressure-sensitive, resulting in a 90 degree phase difference when applied to the same sound source at the same distance. This means that an M-S configuration made up of a cardioid condenser as the M mic and a fig-8 ribbon as the S-mic will not decode to L-R correctly using the standard matrix.

18. pcrecord

For a M-S test, I was more thinking of 2 figure of 8 mic, the ksm44 and the fathead.. Is that also a problem ?

19. pcrecord

Also depending on the amp/cab ;)

20. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Whether a two-capsule condenser mic like the KSM44 switched to "bidirectional" pattern operates as velocity-sensitive or pressure-sensitive, I don't know. It could have been designed either way, although I suspect it will still be pressure-sensitive, like the other patterns. You would have to ask Shure.