1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Camel Audio going out of business

Discussion in 'Computers / Software' started by Dr_Willie_OBGYN, May 7, 2015.

1. Dr_Willie_OBGYN

Dr_Willie_OBGYN Active Member

This is really strange. Camel Audio just suddenly closed down. No longer selling synths and soundsets. Old customer have been instructed to back up their software which is what I'm doing now. In July the website shuts down for good.

Anyone know why this happened? I suspect legal issues. Some people are speculating that piracy and maybe the declining Euro is the cause, but why not just continue selling their software or sell it to another company if that were the case?

2. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

If we're talking about Camel Audio Ltd - the UK firm in Worcestershire, their credit information looks pretty sound, and no obvious problems.

It does look like they do other types of business too - Ben Gillett is listed as one of the directors and past directors appear to be family members.

Not sure if this helps?

Balance Sheet
    Cash Bank In Hand 2013-03-31 £ 511,904
    Cash Bank In Hand 2012-03-31 £ 387,040
    Current Assets 2013-03-31 £ 549,012
    Current Assets 2012-03-31 £ 390,789
    Debtors 2013-03-31 £ 37,108
    Debtors 2012-03-31 £ 3,749
    Shareholder Funds 2013-03-31 £ 421,247
    Shareholder Funds 2012-03-31 £ 287,589
    Tangible Fixed Assets 2013-03-31 £ 2,399

3. Dr_Willie_OBGYN

Just very bizarre that they would suddenly close shop and not even sell the software to some other company. Alchemy is a really great synth.

4. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Camel was supposedly acquired by Apple.

5. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

LOL.. if that's the case, then it's all the more reason to back up Camel files and drivers. ;)

6. Dr_Willie_OBGYN

If Apple bought 'em out then why are they just sitting on the Alchemy synth? Just to spend money?

7. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Adobe bought out Serious Magic, who I'd invested thousands of pound with for virtual studios, and Adove stripped out the keyed, and dumped everything else - I have one computer that has all the software on it that still just about runs - when it eventually dies, that is that because the authorisation server hs been shut down - so just a few years down the road, it's all change.