1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Can anyone identify this contact microphone?

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by grahamvinyl, Jul 15, 2014.

  1. grahamvinyl

    grahamvinyl Active Member

    I took several pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/iDIPl. It is used to listen through concrete for plumbing leaks. Any help identifying it or at least pointing me in the right direction to find a similar one would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  2. DonnyThompson

    DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

    are you showing us the full unit? Is there a cable, power supply, etc?

    FWIW there are many different contact/analysis mics on the market.

    Google - type "contact microphones for plumbing - pipes - walls, etc
  3. grahamvinyl

    grahamvinyl Active Member

    This is not the "full unit" so to speak, but it is the full item that I am looking to find. The full unit is this mic specially housed and with a BNC connector, which then plugs into a control device. I would like to make my own, and the only I'm having trouble sourcing is the actual contact mic part. When I search for contact microphones in the way you suggested, what I see are entire commercial products rather than simply the item shown. The product is a small enough production run that I believe the mic is not custom made. It should be something I can find.
  4. DonnyThompson

    DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

    The maker of the "control device" is probably who you should be contacting or doing a google/ebay search on, if in fact there is any manufacturer's name on the device, and if you haven't already searched.

    If we could find out more about the control device, we might be able to determine whether or not you need an exact replica of the mic you have shown, or if you could modify another contact mic to fit with the device.

    I guess I'm suggesting that it's possible that the mic itself isn't necessarily proprietary to the device it plugs into, and that this control device -interface -power supply might be able to accept other types of contact microphones and/or connectors.

    Can you post a pic of the control device, along with any cables and/or jacks?
  5. RemyRAD

    RemyRAD Guest

    So what do you have your panties in a bunch about this contact microphone? In what application do you hope to use it for? Are you looking for leaky pipes? You wanted to contact something to record? And what might that be? There are so many scientific and industrial applications transducers are used for, it's impossible to tell. Kind of like saying it hurts when I do this without letting us know what it is you're doing?

    On the other hand I can show you part of a dildo and ask you where to put it? And if you're a guy? You're likely to put it in the wrong place? And you wouldn't want to do that now would ya? No. It could hurt.

    What do I do with this question mark? I mean should I question Mark? And which part of Mark should I question?
    Mx. Remy Ann David

Share This Page