1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Can I sit my gear-rack on it's side?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by PCM, Sep 9, 2005.

1. PCM

PCM Guest

contents of 6 space travel rack:

UA 2108
    2 avalon u5's
    patchbay
    BBE 882i
    power conditioner

It'd be great if I could sit it on it's side for space savings. Is this ok for the gear?????

2. baslotto

baslotto Active Member

I think.... yes. :cool:
    Test it before you start the next session tho'.

Bas.

3. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

You should check with the manufacturers. There are products out there that do not like being on there side, especially if they have large transformers on their chassis. This would include the Avalon and UA stuff. I think that the others are "safe" because they don't have the heavier components in them...but you definitely need to ask Avalon and UA...Also consider that anything with a mechanical VU meter should probably be left "horizontal" due to gravity's effect on the ballistics...

4. PCM

PCM Guest

cool thanks. no VU meters so not an issue with that...and the UA has an external power supply, but the avalons I will look into.

thx

5. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

I would also worry about cooling, especially if anything has a tube in it (doesn't look like you've got anything tube-based in that list). Just a thought.