1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

can it be a remix? legal definition of a remix?

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by julian2003, Sep 30, 2007.

1. julian2003

julian2003 Guest

hi all,
    hope you can help me with an issue of mine...
    i'm working on the musical project of mine (not alone) for more than 2 years, an instrumental electronic music project (not trance).
    we finished writing the composition and recorded demo versions for all songs, found a good english mixer to work with and we're started to record the master.

now there's a guy we meet recently, that played around with our demo versions and it looks like he could do some really nice dance-remix for it and we wanna get him to do so.

the problem is we don't know if this could be defined as a remix, since the master if not finished, and not released anywhere.

so is there any legal definition of a remix? and if this situation doesn't fit, what is the legal definition of what this guy is going for us?
    we wanna close a contract with him on a fix price (work-for-hire) and we don't wanna define things the wrong way and get scre_ed later on...

hope you can help,