1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Can this Audio Interface work with these Headphones

Discussion in 'Monitoring & Headphones' started by New Guy, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Guy

New Guy Guest

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB interface
    Analog Output Impedence is 10 ohms

New to all of this, so I am wondering if I could use these headphones without the need of a seperate headphone amp.

These headphones are the ones I have researched and am trying to decide which one to get for best flat, neutral sound in my price range.

ATH-M50 ---- 32 ohms (can possibly get m40fs, although they have 60 ohms)
    Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATH-M50 : Professional Studio Monitor Headphones (with coiled cable)
    Sony MDR-V6 ---- 63 ohms
    MDR-V6 | Studio Monitor Series Headphones | Sony | Sony Store USA
    Sennheiser HD 280 PRO ---- 64 ohms
    Sennheiser USA - Professional DJ Headphones HD 280 PRO - Noise Cancelling Closed Circumaural Headphones - Personal Audio
    AKG K240 ---- 55 ohms (not considering these too much since they are semi-open back)
    K 240 MK II - Specifications

Now so far, I have picked these since they are recommended as flat, natural sounding headphones in my budget.
    Although, I have found out I may need a amp to get the full potential out of the headphones.
    According to,
    NwAvGuy: Headphone & Amp Impedance
    It seems I should have my output impedence an 1/8th of what my headphones impedence is. From that it seems the ATH M50 would be closests, but still not quiet there.
    Just want to check with the professionals before I purchase.

By the way, which seems best for a flat sound according to this chart:
    As for the Sony MDR-V6 compared to the Sony 7506, they are just about the same, although when I compared them on a chart just like above, the V6's were actually more flat. Which is what I am looking for.
  2. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    You shouldn't need a separate headphone amp. The front-panel headphone jack on the Scarlett 2i2 is designed to drive most types of professional or semi-professional headphones acceptably.

Although the 2i2 specifications are lamentably unclear on this, my guess is that the figure given as <10 Ohm for the output impedance relates to the rear-panel line outputs and not the stereo headphone jack.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.