1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

can't figure this out... can you check out the sample?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jcnoernberg, Apr 23, 2004.

1. jcnoernberg

jcnoernberg Guest

I have been getting this distortion/clicks n pops/static in my recordings for a while. Even just recording a single track it happens. It goes off and on so I'm almost positive it's on the computer/software end. I have a clip link listed below, can someone check it out? Someone with more experience can probably pin it right down. I've been doing everything I can to optimize for recording including: doubled ram to 512mb, have no non-audio programs installed, disabled all unnecessary services, and still get the pops. I'm recording at 44.1 kHz, 16 bits. Is it a slow hard drive? Some sort of interrupt problem?

I use...

Compaq Presario 2100 notebook (1.6 GHz Celeron, 512mb ram, xp home)
    motu 828 firewire interface

The sample I have was recorded via the phantom powered line in using a condenser mic. I can't seem to go much higher than about 30% gain without the distortion.

10 second clip, distorted at about half way
  2. noit

noit Guest

Do you have a SCSI card? It sounds like a situaltion I had when the SCSI controller was fighting my Audio card for control of the PCI bus. I never got it to work. I bought a Mac instead.
  3. TheReal7

TheReal7 Guest

I have the exact laptop and ram and I haven't experienced what you are. Although I am running PT and a Mbox. :?
  4. hellogoodbye

hellogoodbye Guest

that doesn't sound like clipping.

your hard drive catching up wouldn't make it get staticy like that.. it'd make it skip.

it sounds like a cable or loose wire getting jiggled or something while he's playing. have you tried different cables/mic's? When does the problem happen exactly? can you reproduce it?
  5. jcnoernberg

jcnoernberg Guest

The motu has two preamped ports, and like 6 other line inputs. I'll try a line input and see what happens. The cables are brand new. I heard of motu 828 users complaining of "scratchy pots" could this be what they are talking about? Hmmmm.