1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

can't find my shockmount!!!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by multoc, Apr 15, 2008.

1. multoc

multoc Active Member

can i have yours?=)

2. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

no...but here's a solution...

Go to Kmart and buy one of those kiddie pools. and a small inflatable something. If you can't find a small inflatable something, you can cut up a bunch of them floaty syrofoam noodle thingies and tie them together like a raft.

Take a roll of duct tape and sit it out in the sun for about 4 hours so it heats up really well and gets good and gooey. Take your microphone and attach it to the microphone stand using the extra-stickified duct tape. Fill the kiddie pool with water and put the microphone stand on the inflatable something (or noodle raft) and put that into the kiddie pool.

This way the whole mic rig is isolated instead of just the mic.

3. multoc

multoc Active Member

HA! NICe;) im thinking ill just be forced to duct tape this el cheapo to the stand, oh well

4. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

How about assembling some magnets above and below the mic. It should hold the mic in place.

No guarantees about the sound quality though. :)

5. multoc

multoc Active Member

ha, right! i still can't find that bastard.....u should see my microphone duct taped to the stand, it's pathetic

6. Codemonkey

Surely, it can't be any worse than what we had.

A mic clip taped to the stand (non-standard size) and the mic rammed into the clip.
    Or at our annual panto, attached to an XLR and "flown" (hovered) with nothing but that cable for a week.

Stand and hold it?

7. multoc

multoc Active Member

haha it was a LD condenser mic as an over head!

8. Codemonkey

Live: Get a roadie to do it and tell him it'll help pull some chicks.

Studio: Erm....get the intern to do it?

9. multoc

multoc Active Member

still can't find it! lol

10. Codemonkey

How much do these things run you for each?

11. multoc

multoc Active Member

$40!!!! thats why im so mad i cant find it

12. Kapt.Krunch

Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

For shock resistance (with the elastic and soft cotton) an old athletic supporter should cradle it nicely hanging from a mic stand....just don't ask me to sing into it! :p (Set that up for the next lead singer that's a jerk!)

Kapt.Krunch