1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Can't get MXL 990 to work with Blue Icicle and Laptop? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by Megan, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Megan

Megan Active Member

Last week, I bought an MXL 990 with a shockmount, a Blue Icicle, and a 25 ft. long XLR cable. I have the Microphone plugged into to XLR cable > Blue Icicle > Dell Inspiron N5110. It says that it's installing software, but when it's done, it says "There is a problem with the driver USB Multi-Channel Audio Device. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem." But after I click the Apply this Fix button, it say "Troubleshooting was not able to automatically fix all of the issues found."
    Can anybody plese help?

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

First step-restart your computer. If that doesn't work then go to the Device Manager and uninstall the Icicle. Make sure all sound recording and player programs are NOT active. Now plug in the Icicle and make sure in installs correctly BEFORE you start any other programs. You can verify this in the Device Manager. You may need to restart your computer at this point. Now the device should work and to adjust the settings follow the instructions on the Blue website.

Blue Microphones | Icicle - A Stylish XLR to USB Converter and Preamp

3. Megan

Megan Active Member

My computer doesn't give me an uninstall option.

4. TheJackAttack

If this is Windows 7 then go to start manager. Type Device Manager in the box. Select the Blue Icicle and right click uninstall. If it is not there then it is not plugged in to the computer or not installed.

5. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Often you have to load the installer before the first time you connect the device. The installer detects the device being connected and the properly installs the drivers. But then I'm still on XP so that may not apply.

6. TheJackAttack

While this is true for most USB devices, the Icicle is plug n play. There were no drivers for download for any operating system. At least according to the Blue website.