cant open a WAV file

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by macd, Aug 6, 2008.

1. macd

macd Guest

I have a WAV file, 348mb. It wont open in any program, but i can listen to it in the import file dialogue box of CuBase LE. when I import it the time code reads as 0:00:00 start and 0:00:00 end. it is approx 30 minutes long

any ideas how I can recover the sound or open the file?
    cheers
    mac d

2. Greener

Greener Guest

Tried Audition?

Sounds like the header is a bit mental.

3. TrilliumSound

TrilliumSound Active Member

This may help: http://www.muse.demon.co.uk/utils/wavhead.html .

4. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Gotta ask yourself is it worth keeping. 30 minutes of...what is it? 348mb, it's two track at best, eh?

5. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Wavelab will open almost any file.

It will even let you specify the bit length and sampling frequency.

See if someone you know has WL and ask them to open your file. Sounds like the header is bad or mangled.

6. macd

macd Guest

many thanks
    Thomas Space TrilliumSound and
    Greener

for all advice, unfortunately I don't know anyone with wavelab and am working with a mac. I will see if a friend can open it with the wavehead application on her pc, I hope i can recover it as it is a recording of an interview with a poet, who lives quite a distance away, so it would be difficult to replicate.

the only other info I could find was way over my head but it may be of interest to you at
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ThatSinkingFeelingAndRepairingACorruptWAVFile.aspx

thanks again anymore ideas are welcome of course
    in hte meantime,
    I'll let you know if i get the audio back.

cheers
    mac d

7. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Have you tried to simply change the audio format? Rather then trying to open the file to listen, use whatever software that will convert it from WAV to MP3 or Aiff, etc.

Maybe the conversion will be able to address the issue by not trying to actually open the file for output?

8. BrianaW

BrianaW Active Member

Hi,
    Let me know how this goes. You are welcome to send it to me and I'll try opening it in Wavelab. Just hope you have a fast connection... I max out at about 120kbps upload speed, so at that rate 2 to 3 hours maybe?

9. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Can you play it in things like VLC media player?

10. JensenBohren

JensenBohren Guest

If it'll play the full file in Audition mode, you may be able to record it with something like Audio Hijack (though you'll have to pay for the full version since it's over ten minutes long if it won't let you pause and start a new file).

11. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

... No?

Audacity will record any length (I think),
    so will Kristal. (until you run out of space)
    Both are free.