1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

care to comment on my next round of mic purchasing?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by nathan, May 22, 2003.

1. nathan

nathan Guest

at this point, i have a very limited mic collection with a similarly limited budget, but over the next 2-3 months i anticipate having around $600 to upgrade my mic collection with.
    what i have now: 1 rode nt1000, 1 mxl603s, 1 atm25, 2 sm57s.
    what i've been thinking of getting: either a pair of sd condensors (SP C4s are looking good, $370 new) and a multipattern ld condensor (SP C3 seems to be the cheapest, around $240 used), or another mxl603s and a bunch of dynamics (421, re20, m260).
    everything will be running into a soundcraft 200b board, then into an otari mx5050 8 track when needed for that "analog" sound, with everything eventually going into a delta1010. i'll probably be working mostly with indie/punk rock type bands, but i'm definitely open to recording other types of music, from bluegrass to hip-hop. thanks for any comments,
  2. I would at least try and get a match for the 603. I have heard you can send yours back to the factory and have them match one for you. Check with their support center on that.

Then you have $500 left... I guess I would go for highest quality single mic I could for that amount. Your preference.