1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

cartridge for recording vinyl samples

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Felix, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Felix

Felix Guest

i currently use a Shure M44-7 with a Technics 1200 turntable + NAD phono pre.
    during mixing, i find myself dipping the EQ of the vinyl samples at various points between 1 and 5 k. mainly around 3k.

is there a cartridge more suitable for getting samples to be used in mixes? usually drums (kick/snr/cymbals/toms/etc.)?

i was told the Shure M35S would be better choice.

i don't want to spend a ridiculous amount for something "audiophile" that isn't any more practicle for mix samples than what there is for under $100.

so far I've also been told the Ortofon PRO S is a good choice.

any other recommendations, preferably in the $50-100 range?

also, if there is a better forum here, or even a better chat board elsewhere for this type of question, please let me know.

advance thanks,
    jason

2. Bhennies

Bhennies Guest

The ortofon would be my choice. However, I also have m44's and find them okay for sampling- however, I try not to do that too much- it's always better to just play it out :)

3. Felix

Felix Guest

i was told today that the Stanton 680EL would be a great choice. mainly because it is eliptical. it can't scratch, but has optimal sound quality.
    any thoughts on this?