1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Case or Rackmount

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Opus2000, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Opus2000

Opus2000 Distinguished Member

Apr 7, 2001
    Ok folks...what would you prefer to buy if you were to purchase a system from someone. Rackmount or Case.
    Also let me know why you would choose either one.
  2. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Guest

It's unanimous! or however you spell that. Actually I guess I'm the only one who voted so far. I have to say, though, that in my current financial situation I would have to save some money and go with the cheapest tower I could find...
  3. Tore Nylund

Tore Nylund Guest

I'd go for a case... for the space... I guess.
    I mean, isn't it easier to keep the temperature down in a big tower case? Of course the cost is also important.
  4. eskimo

eskimo Guest

The rackmount is neat. But you don't want that friggin noisegenerator inside your studio do you?
    And I don't want any racks outside my studio either...so case it is.
  5. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Rackmount...all the way! it is neater and blends in better with all the rest of the gear. I guess I would be a bit concerned about noise and heat, but I think those things can be overcome with proper design.
  6. llornkcor

llornkcor Active Member

May 8, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia (originally Boulder, CO, USA)
    Home Page:
    how about a rackmount case?! hehehe :)
    if money were no object - rackmount.
    otherwise stick with a case
  7. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Rackmount, nice in a portable rack case too. ;)
  8. fabrice

fabrice Guest

i would mostly prefer a horizontal position (Read: rackmount) than vertical (tower) because of space saving config.

so if it's rackmountable, having that extra option is good for the eventuality.
    the rackmount case has to be solid though (obviously) :tu:
  9. eliasreitz

eliasreitz Guest

I'd go with a tower and a Silence Case.

check it out: http://www.elias-audio.net
  10. Fozz

Fozz Active Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Williamsville, NY
    Home Page:
    I voted for rackmount because of portability.

I'm only thinking along these lines now, because I might have a need for a small mobile setup that would record up to four people and I'm trying to decided between:
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">schlepping my p4b266 in its Asus 1080 case with a crt display, versus,
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">rackmounted PC that doesn't have to have the power of the p4b266/2ghz, and a flat panel display, versus,
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">some self contained rig like the new Yamaha AW16G, http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gDAW00008AW16G
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
  11. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    How about a laptop with firewire inteface and drives? ............ Fats
  12. Opus2000

Opus2000 Distinguished Member

Apr 7, 2001
    Cool, thanks for your input folks...for those that did vote..
    I got mixed results though..Most of you said to go with Cases but there are more votes for Rackmounts than cases :D