1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

CD Replication or Duplication?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by therecordingart, Dec 12, 2004.

1. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

I'm creating a Chicagoland Tribute to Pantera/Damageplan. I'm fronting all of the money, but I'm not someone that has stacks of cash floating around. I just wanted some opinions on whether I should replicate or duplicate? Does anyone know of any places that will do the insert printing and packaging in conjunction at a good price? This is all non-profit and I need to minimize up front costs. I've got some really great bands working on the project so I know that we'll have a great end result. Any ideas?

2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

How many discs? How many pages insert? Full jewel, mini-jewel, or other? Do you have all the graphics? Most importantly, do you have all of the mechanical licenses?

I might be able to help you.

J...

3. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

I'm going to obtain the mechanical license as the bands start coming aboard. Since the license is based on minutes of content I can't purchase the license until the band is recorded. Unless I just use the minutes of the original track.

4. Cucco

Sure, understood about the licensing. How about the other stuff? I do large scale duplication, but I don't usually advertise as such. However, in house, I can do high-res jacket printing (on specialty stock, not the Neat-o stuff) using a Phaser 850 wax based printer. Plus, I can (for low cost duplication) use printable media and print directly on the disc, also at high res using Epson printers. As for the duplication, I can burn up to 200 discs per hour. Since I'm not one of the big boys (diskmakers, etc.) and I don't have high overhead, I can usually do it pretty cheap. Of course, the catch is, before I'll dupe the first disc, I would have to have copies of the licenses in hand. So in other words, once you're done, then we can talk. :)

Thanks,

J...

5. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

Be aware that most retail outlets will not sell CDRs, replication is your safest bet.

8)
    I also have a duplication system, but it's used mostly for promo demos, and for product that is sold at performances.

6. Cucco

Very true, but notice he indicates that he is essentially doing this out of pocket and needs the expense to be low. Even going through the replication warehouses (a la Diskmakers) you would spend $1500 for a replication service with jewels and inserts.