1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

CD-RW, Laptop, Plextor

Discussion in 'Recording' started by bopmachine, Jan 17, 2003.

1. bopmachine

bopmachine Active Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Help! I would like to get a plextor CD-RW for my laptop, but am limited by my connection options (PC Card, USB 1, serial, parralel).

I was hoping someing could point me in the right direction.. Thoughts were to slap a plextor IDE into a firewire enclosure ->Firewire adapter card-PC CARD slot. Im using WIN2k on a beefy HP laptop.

Any thoughts?
  2. Katiedawg

Katiedawg Active Member

Mar 14, 2001
    Birmingham, Alabama

I had the same dilemma...big, bad laptop, but USB 1 ports. The internal CD burner is 8X, but I wanted the 40X Plextor USB 2 burner for on-site duplications.

So...have a look at what the folks at Plextor suggested:

Works like a charm. It's something like $90, and it has two USB 2 ports. I now have two of the Plextor 40X burners, which I run at the same time with this card and Nero.
  3. bopmachine

bopmachine Active Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Thanks for the response. I've actaully come to this conclusion as well, only I bought the belkin one available here in the UK. Havent bought the plextor one yet.

How do you like the burner?Can you get a full 48x speed out of it? Do you use the power supply with your card?