CDr Media, opinions please.

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by lorenzo gerace, Jul 20, 2004.

1. lorenzo gerace

lorenzo gerace Active Member

Hi

I've recentely come accross a dealer that would be able to provide me a supply of Taiyo Yuden CDr at a really good price; I've red several times about that brand being recommended by mastering engineers and such, so if it really is that good I'd get them and start using them; I've been using Sony and TDK up to now, is the difference in quality really noticeable in terms of coasters and error percentage?

Thanx for your opinions

L.G.

2. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

depends on your burner. If your burning more than 10% coasters then something is very wrong. Media is changing by the month so you have to keep an eye on it. TY discs are very good but your burner has to like them too. check the manufacturer to see what they recommend for their burner.

3. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Give me a stack of Taiyo Yudens and a Plextor PlexWriter Premium drive (there is NO substitute) and I'm a pretty happy dude.

4. Ben Godin

Ben Godin Active Member

In my opinion, there are 2 great cd-r masters, the Apogee gold branded cd-r , and the TY gold cd-r ... Both have great low error rates and with a descent cd burner, you have a lethal combination. :cool:

ps. office depo sony and TDK are in no comparison to these cd-r s.

5. lorenzo gerace

lorenzo gerace Active Member

Thanx everybody for your opinion, I'll give them a try.

L.G.

6. Johnjm22

Johnjm22 Guest

Can someone please explain to me what coasters mean?

Also, I've been using the burner that came stock in my Mac g4 computer, should I be using some thing else?

What's the best burner, CD-R combo?

7. Michael Fossenkemper

A coaster is a CDR that isn't good or failed. The stock burners in computers aren't the best drives. I'm a big fan of Plextor drives.

8. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

i've had good luck with maxtor drives- 4 housed in my G4 for about 600GB and 2 more in a external firewire mini tower for back up for about 300 GB more...

I think the replacement DVD drive for later macs is a pioneer- you can find specks on the apple site or do a google search

9. Ed Littman

Ed Littman Guest

I'm with you on that.....
    although TY's error rate have slagged a bit now a days.
    for a while fujifilm were TY's & super low error rates. They were also prodisc & some other manufacturer I forget. Their error rates are getting higher now too.
    Ed

10. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

I use Quantegy gold CDR's.
    The best thing I've come around.
    Certified to run in realtime with my modified Plextor drive.

11. Michael Fossenkemper

what did you do to modify you plextor? or how is it modified?

12. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

Hi Michael,

It has spikes connected directly to the metal chassis of the burner.
    Then it has been lightly damped with car sound isolation matts and then stabiliced with 20 flat bathroom rocks on top of it.

This really kills the vibrations of the drive and minimises Jitter.

Best Regards,

13. Michael Fossenkemper

damn, I think you have more invested in isolation than the burner itself cost. I just don't listen to anything while i'm burning.

14. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

Me neither.

This drive + mod is actually cheaper than those 2" unit "rack things" on the marked...
    Those units uses the same drives but has less damping.

15. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

My Plextor burner makes more noise than my pc because of a small psu fan.
    So i have it turned off in sessions.
    The mod is only made to get the best burning results.

16. Johnjm22

Johnjm22 Guest

Which Plextor burner model do you guys recomend?

I went to their website but was not sure of which one to get.

Is there an advantages or disadvantages between external or internal?

17. Massive Mastering

The Plextor PlexWriter Premium. There is no substitute.

I'm a fan of internal drives myself. Just better luck with them.

I think NewEgg.com normally has the best price on the beast. Free shipping on the last one I ordered, also...

18. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

The Plextor Premium is not capable of realtime burning.
    The lowest speed is 4x on their site!! That's not good enough for me!

The PlexWriter 40/12/40Se external burner I have is capable of burning 1x and is the best burner I've tried.
    The PlexWriter 40/12/40Se is build specially for those who is going to use it for Audio Masters, hense the 1x speed option.

Best regards,

19. Michael Fossenkemper

I think that's the same drive i'm using. SCSI.

20. Massive Mastering

I was all about 1X, but the studies I've read over the last several years (including some that I've performed myself) show a far better BLER at 4X than at any other speed (including 1, 2, 4, 8, 12 & 16X) with modern drives.

Don't get me wrong - 3 years ago, every disc I wrote was at 1X unless it was strictly for reference.

I'm certainly not qualified to be a "techie" in this matter, but it was explained to me that most modern writing drives actually have a harder time trying to stay at 1 or 2X than they do "cruising" at 4X and higher. That could be a load of BS also, but the tests I've seen and performed confirmed (at least in my case) that 4X was the speed to beat. If I can rummage some of this info up, I'll post it here ASAP.

Your Mileage May Vary.