1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Chameleon Labs preamp

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by therecordingart, Nov 4, 2005.

1. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen the Chameleon Labs preamp that is supposed to be a 1073 clone?!? Anyone use it yet?

2. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

I've got a "date"with one in December. If the schedule works out, I will report how I like it.

3. therecordingart

I checked out GearSlutz to see if they've tried em.....and success....I think we have another Brick! Affordable, and top notch!

I think I'm going to pick one up tomorrow because I work at GC, and we have one in a box.

4. MistaG

MistaG Guest

I compared it next to a Neve 1073 and guess what......?

It didn't sound the same.

But it did sound very, very nice. Similar but not as smooth; meaning side by side the Chameleon was slightly more grainy sounding in the upper end. It did have the big rich bottom thing going for it.

5. therecordingart

That grainy-ness could be a good thing for aggressive vocals or heavy guitars....even a kick or snare.

Thanks for your input....could be an awesome investment for $800!

6. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

Grit and grain...a little eq can do wonders for that. (in the right hands no doubt)