1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cheap 2-channel compressor

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Kris_Hilbert, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Kris_Hilbert

Kris_Hilbert Guest

I need a fairly cheap (under or around $200) 2-channel compressor for micing a drumset. I will be running my sm57 (snare) and my beta52 (kick) into this compressor then into my e-mu 1820. I'm just now going to start working with compressors because before I used the digital one on Cakewalk. Any suggestions?

2. Boltino

Boltino Guest

I'd go with something from dbx. Their lower end compressors are pretty good compared to some other brands.

Check this out: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/266XL/

You might also look at the 166. Or you might wait and save up for the 1066. It is a pretty good step up from the previously mentioned units.

Wes

3. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

RNC- just $175

4. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Ditto on the RNC.

5. Kris_Hilbert

Kris_Hilbert Guest

I need 2 seperate channels to eq 2 different eqs for the snare and kick though. How would I do that? Is the dbx worthwhile? I know that Alesis makes one for about $100 if anyone's heard anything about it. This next question may sound stupid but how would I plug my mic into the RNC if I got one? The last time I used a XLR (f) to a 1/4" (m) I lost lots of volume. I didn't know if that was normal or not.

6. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Double Ditto, RNC

Chris

7. Boltino

Boltino Guest

I would stay away from the Alesis 3630 for recording. It's pretty noisy.

Wes

8. jonyoung

You wouldn't plug the mic directly into any compressor, it has to go to a preamp first to get the signal up to line level. Then the output of the pre goes to the compressor. If you'll be using both channels with the RNC, you'll have to use a channel insert on a board for send and return to/from the compressor. The RNC is set up so that you use a single 1/4" TRS cable for insert applications. The insert jacks of the RNC are wired inverted from the insert jack of a console, so no split (Y)insert cable is needed. Using the insert scenario is the only way to use both channels of the RNC simultaneously.

9. Kris_Hilbert

Kris_Hilbert Guest

I don't know how I'll be able to do it then because I was running straight from my mics into my E-mu, so I don't know how I would throw the compressor on there. Any suggestions?

10. jonyoung

I'd guess that you need to either buy a small board to feed into your E-mu, or get an interface with enough inputs and outputs, and a recording platform that will allow you to send & return to outboard hardware (ie: Sonar3 or 4).

11. Kris_Hilbert

Kris_Hilbert Guest

I was planning on plugging the overheads/tom mics into my Behringer mx2442A (eurodesk) then utilizing the E-mu's 2 mic pres, but I guess I can just run the compressor between the insert and the E-mu. That's probably what you said earlier I just didn't understand. Thanks again.