1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cheap and nondescript gear for unlocking a better audio workflow

Discussion in 'Consoles / Control Surfaces' started by Enmore Audio, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Enmore Audio

Enmore Audio Active Member

2. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

The sm 57 and a moving blanket are two cheap pieces I use all the time.

I do question the use of a cheap monitor controller and re amp box though in your article.

Those things effect significantly the sound your recording and hearing. For instance a mackie big knob is a cheap monitor controller and really degrades the sound. Monitoring is sooo important, I don't think anything in the monitoring chain is a place to be skimpy. In fact I think your better off without the cheap monitor controller.

It doesn't have to be the most expensive one out there but it's got to be up to a certain standard to remain neutral in the signal path. It seems +$600 price point is where you get something truly worth using. Something like from Audient.

Same for a re amp box. A $100 passive unit from radial is about as cheap as it gets.

Something cheap that's passing signal is gonna degrade it significantly.

If you get away w a budget controller or keyboard midi controller that's cool because it doesn't affect the sonic integrity. Fwiw I have a presonus fader port on tap when I do my next gear order.