1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cheap cassette deck for playback

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mwacoustic, Jan 19, 2008.

1. mwacoustic

mwacoustic Guest

I have a box of old cassette tapes (remember those?) that I want to get onto my PC. Nothing valuable or well-recorded, just some nostalgia from garage band days. I just gave away my old dual cassette deck which was broken (freecycle.org is great!), so now I am casually looking around for a new playback deck (don't need to record onto it). Any suggestions/recommendations under say $100?
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Keep your eyes open for one of these:

Nakamichi MR-2
    Marantz PMD501

And one of my favorites:
    Tascam 112MKII

You might be able to find any one of these on Craigslist or Ebay for under $100.

In fact, I checked on Ebay. Here's a cat selling a 122, the bid is at $91.

3. mwacoustic

mwacoustic Guest

thanks! I'll keep my eyes open for those.

Is there anything new in that price range? Consumer grade is fine - don't need to polish these turds too much, though I am also looking at something like SoundSoap to clean up whatever I can without too much effort.

4. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Geez, I honestly haven't looked into new cassette decks for years...

I'll get back to you later on that, unless someone here beats me to it.

5. mwacoustic

mwacoustic Guest

Another option I just realized I have... dusted off the old Tascam Porta-07 4 track. It plays regular cassettes, but at high speed. Turns out that it is double speed, so I can transfer to PC, then use a pitch shifter/time stretcher to get back to the orginal speed. I'm probably losing some quality in the process, but again these are not exactly hi-fi to begin with. Worked okay on one track, anyway.

Still might get a "new" deck for convenience at some point... but then again maybe I'll save my $$ for something else.
    -Mark