1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cheap mic solutions

Discussion in 'Recording' started by MSA, Mar 12, 2001.

1. MSA

MSA Guest

Hi all. First off, this forum rocks, and I'm adding to my newbie knowledge with every thread I read.

I'm learning to use Cubase VST on my mac at home. I currently have a cheapo desktop mic that I'm using while I practice using vst instruments and some audio snippets to create loop based music.

[Whoops, somehow my post was truncated. I'll add my question below.]

I have a regular mic that I want to use as an input on the mac's built-in sound. How do I convert the XLR line down to the mac's 1/8" jack?

2. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2000
    I will try to give you a brief answer.

Your mac's mic input was configured specifically to pair with el-cheapo computer mic. You might not get as good results out of a more expensive mic (or possibly any signal whatsoever) than the one that came with the mac. It is likely that you could get better results by running a good mic into a good mic pre and then into a line input or soundcard on the mac, but that's going to get much more complicated (and $$$).

I still recommend posting the question in "Small Steps - a beginner's guide to pro results"

-click below-
    (Dead Link Removed)

Hope that helps.
  3. mark

mark Guest

Oh no, don't do that! You'd better say what kind of mic you have; if it's a dynamic mic like an SM57 or SM58 you might be able to pull it off, but if it's a condenser, you'd need phantom power of some sort (unless you had a battery powered mic).
  4. MSA

MSA Guest

It's an Audix OM-3xb. I don't think that's a condenser mic.

Am I best off buying a cheap mixing board, and using the output of the board to input to the mac?
  5. user_gamesound

user_gamesound Active Member

Dec 18, 2000