1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cheap rack

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by OJG, Oct 28, 2005.

1. OJG

OJG Guest

Friends,

I am looking to get a 19 inch rack, 7 feet tall (approx. 44U).
    The prices I see all around me are over my budget.

Does anyone know of where I can get those for less than a $100 ?
    Could there be any places who are actually trying to get rid of those ?

OJG

2. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

I don't know where you are located but there are places that have racks for under $100. One such place is http://www.hgrindustrialsurplus.com/

I just saw two really nice new relay racks for under $100 in the past couple of months. I would look under electronic surplus or industrial surplus where you live. Many times PBS and NPR stations have sales of surplus equipment. Some times you can find amazing deals at these sales. The racks could be in poor condition
    and may need some, sanding and painting or powder coat to make them look new but with the cost of new racks you could still save yourself a bundle.

3. OJG

OJG Guest

Thanks Tom,

I live in upstate NY, and as much as I tried scanning those places that you mentioned for used racks, nothing came up.
    Perhaps I need to do it periodically and something will come up eventually.

Thanks again.

OJG

4. Thomas W. Bethel

They had 6 racks all brand new at HGR $99.00 each.

Here is the url for one at $19.99

http://www.hgrindustrialsurplus.com/Detail.asp?PartNum=09-120-888

Here is another one
    http://www.hgrindustrialsurplus.com/Detail.asp?PartNum=09-134-376

Here are four smaller ones

http://www.hgrindustrialsurplus.com/Detail.asp?PartNum=09-132-098

They sometimes call them "enclosures" instead of racks.

Hope this helps....

5. TornadoTed

TornadoTed Guest

Why not build your own, it's easy for even someone with limited carpentry skills. Use 12mm MDF (I haven't got a clue what the equivelent is in the USA) and buy some rack strips. You could probably build that for half of your budget.

6. OJG

OJG Guest

Thanks Tom.
    The first one on your list is just what I need. I have just e-mailed Ron at HGR's sales department for a quote on the shipping, so to see how much will that add to the price.
    Hopefully they have a NY branch. Otherwise we'll see.

Thank a lot

OJG

7. OJG

OJG Guest

Ted,

you would be surprised at how much this option could cost. That was the first thing I considered but but after I buy the raw materials and tools I have already gone past the $100 mark. Compare it to the $20 rack that Tom indicated . . .

OJG

8. Thomas W. Bethel

Problems are....

1. You have to purchase the raw materials and they are expensive.

2. You have to have the woodworking tools to cut up the pieces

3. The long rack strips are EXPENSIVE.

4. You have to make the rack in such a way that it will not shift or buckle or go out of plumb and that can take some engineering with MDF

5. MDF is not good at holding screws so you have to use special fasteners.

6. You get no RF shielding with wood.

7. You have to paint the rack when you are done adding to the cost.

8. By the time you figure out how much it will cost it probably will cost much more than $100.00 even if you do the rack yourself.

MTCW

9. Thomas W. Bethel

Double post - Deleted

10. TornadoTed

TornadoTed Guest

Fair enough. I've always found a self build cheaper but I already have a pretty well stocked workshop and build furniture in my spare time so find it easy. I stand corrected that it wouldn't be easy for everyone especially if you had to purchase tools especially.

11. OJG

OJG Guest

I was afraid of this - the shipping is $100.

I'll try to look for a similar kind of business in this area.

OJG

12. Auxsam

Auxsam Guest

Im just gonna throw in my two cents here and say that i made a rack out of a material called DEXIOM. its mostly used for industrial shelving but can be cut to fit any length. Its alreadi got openings and if measured correctly, could fit almost any rack aparatus. I currently have a tascam Dat, an m audio octane, a digi 001 and a samson amp on it and its very durable. if you need an idea of what it looks like let me know, ill send you an email. my rack cost me about 30 bucks.

13. Chance

Chance Guest

I made about 8 racks in my studio that look pro and cost almost nothing. If I can figure how to post a photo, I will. Or if someone can direct me how to post a jpeg let me know

14. FloodStage

FloodStage Active Member

Find out who deals in used computers in your area (people that buy quantities like 500 at a time) They will have access to older large racks and they go cheap.

Look for places with names like Computer Recycling or Recycled Computers, that kind of name.

They'll have what you need. (You will have to pick it up and it will need a paint job) but it will be cheap. I've bough many relay racks for $25 ea.

That said, I build my own. newdesk1compressed.jpg

15. See if your local power company has a salvage dept. I purchased a 9' tall open rack from Georgia Power investment recovery dept. for less than $2.00. Sold as scap metal for $.02 per pound.

16. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Guest

Another good place to try is CABLE TV systems ,

they use racks to hold the Head End equipment ..

just an idea

SI

17. OJG

OJG Guest

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.
    I will try those local venues that were mentioned.

OJG