1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cheap Sound barrier question

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Dingus987, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Dingus987

Dingus987 Guest

Is there a cheap and easy alternative to the 250+ sound/issolation barriers? looks dont matter to me, im going for functionality.

2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?off=0&sort=prod&skuonly=0&search=blanket&pagesize=0

They're only functional down to around 150Hz (best from 500 and up) and they're ugly as hell, but they work in a pinch and they're cheap.

3. AaronP

AaronP Active Member

That is a packing blanket. They're like five bucks at your local U-haul. I have about 30 sitting in my attic.

4. Cucco

You might want to check the price at UHaul.

Last time I wanted to buy a new one there, it was like $50.

5. AaronP

AaronP Active Member

What? Really? That's REALLY bad. I've gotten a whole bunch for free, like when you rent a big truck, they'll usually (aside from uhaul, apparently) throw in a couple of these for free.

$8.75:
    user manual

$12 or $50 for a dozen:
    http://www.uscargocontrol.com/movingsuppliesmovingblanketsmovingpads-c-36_49.html?gclid=CI6PwojXnJECFTyKOAodOTW8Qg

I don't know about shipping.
    I wonder how they pack a packing blanket. If I was shipping the dozen, I would pack them with themselves. It's like, you don't have to pack them, cause....they pack themselves...
    awesome...

6. Space

Space Well-Known Member

How good are you at working with power tools and DIY things?

7. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

The moving blankets that Uhaul sells now are about half the thickness of the industrial moving blankets at 1/8". That ain't stoppin' any noise.

8. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Yep, they don't make them like they used to!

Though they are still good for making an impromptu "booth" combined with a few straight stands.

9. AaronP

AaronP Active Member

Are they really that good? Cause I have a bunch and my walls are currently bare...and fraught with echo...

Oh, and for dingus:

{old-link-removed}

user manual
    ^super

You can also just fill a pine frame with some rockwool from lowes or home depot.

10. Cucco

I wouldn't use them as your primary means of acoustic treatment. They work great for mobile recording or for a usable gobo in a pinch, but as a means of primary acoustic treatment, they're far too imprecise and sloppy. Not only that, they don't really do enough for anything in the low frequencies.

BTW - if you have blankets with your UHaul or paid $5...you're renting them. Check your user's agreement. If you keep them, you've officially stolen them. At least that's what my agreement says from about 2 years ago.

11. AaronP

AaronP Active Member

Well, I was using uhaul as just a reference to moving companies. We used ABF...and about 7 others. I'm sure we've used uhaul...I just cant remember when.

Also, this is a collection of blankets acquired over 12 years and 9 moves. NINE. Including apartments in between two houses, that is. I've only been old enough to help in the last 3. Anyway, we have a bunch of moving blankets.

12. KHilbert

KHilbert Guest

How can you tell which blankets are "good" quality? There's a big price difference between the $20 blankets on markertek and the $9 blankets from the others. Is the price of the "sound absorption blanket" jacked up because they can sell a moving blanket for more if they call it a "sound absorption blanket?" If they're that much better, how can you tell?

I'm considering buying a few to do some VERY basic isolation/noise reduction in my live room (read: dinning room). I was planning on hanging a few on each side of the doorway (that sort with molding and a frame, but no doors). I figured that would allow better isolation because there'd be a blanket, then bout 6-8 inches of space then another blanket. I'm also installing grommets and nails in the wall so they can easily go up and down. I'll also be hanging one over the windows in the room. If need be I'll add foam egg crates I have on the walls for better acoustics.