1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cheapest place for empirical labs?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by planet red, Mar 13, 2002.

1. planet red

planet red Active Member

I'm going to be buying 2 distressors and a fatso in the next week or two. The dealer I normally buy stuff from doesnt carry empirical labs but told me he could sell me a pair of trakkers for $3400. I've never heard the trakkers, so that worries me a little (even though I've heard they're amazing). Either way, anyone know of any place selling this stuff for cheap... I heard one guy saying he got a fatso for $1950, but dont remember where. I know everyone will say Mercenary, but if I could find a place that saves me as much as my dealer normally does compared to mercenary prices I'd be pretty happy.

2. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

Try http:// When I almost bought a Distressor last month they had the best price I could find.

3. miketholen

miketholen Member

huh? why?
    there are a shitload of places to get those units.

:confused:

4. anonymous

anonymous Guests

This is only vaguely on-topic, but it brings up an interesting issue. I find it more than worthwhile to establish a good relationship with a conscientious (sp?) and caring local pro audio store/salesperson in your area.

I don't know your area, but I'm in Boston, and there are a couple of places that I usually get almost all my major purchases - although I will still make the occasional impulse buy of some sale items at Banjo Center. The advantages of establishing a personal relationship with a store and salesperson are immense. As an example, I have such a relationship with Parsons Audio/Rick Scott.

1) If anything in my studio breaks down, I can usually get a loaner of some equivalent piece until I can get it fixed.

2) If I am considering buying something, I can take three or four competing units back to my studio for a few days to do shoot-out testing.

3) If I find a lower price at some mail-order place, they will always do their best to match it.

4) Often they will loan me a specialized piece of gear that I might need for only one session, knowing that I have no real intention of buying it.

5) They have knowledgeable support staff people to help answer technical questions that may come up.

With service like that, they know I am most likely to spend the bulk of my equipment budget at their place, so it is advantageous to both of us.

While my relationship with Parsons/Rick is certainly wonderful, I'm sure it is not unique. So I would definitely recommend everyone at least make the attempt to create a local relationship similar to the one I have here. (Local is definitely convenient when you discover you need something that very day.) It's saved my ass on more than one occasion. Even if you end up spending a percentage or two more over the internet or chain store, it is so worth it! ;)

5. mixfactory

mixfactory Guest

You can also try Craig over at Calistro Music,http://www.calistromusic.com. Just tell him the crazy mixing/gear guy in NYC recommended you.

6. Faeflora

Faeflora Guest

Hey I reccomend Calistro too. Lots. Great personal service, fair prices.

WTF is up with those Trakkers for so cheap? I want em! Who's that dealer? What are his other prices like?

7. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Sonic Circus by far best price and also Medley Music in Phili (Dominic). both always quote lower prices than others.

8. simonsez

simonsez Guest

hey.....not to place an add or nuthin (sorry audiokid if I'm out of line)
    but I have 2 distressors for sale.
    See the bottom of the page in for sale.
    simonsez