1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Chosing a Microphone

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by cyorkgo, Feb 16, 2005.

1. cyorkgo

cyorkgo Guest

I am currently looking for a mic for vocals and I am on a serious budget.

I have a home studio and producing R&B and Hip Hop. My budget for a Mic is about $200.00. I just picked up a Focusrite Trakmaster off Ebay.

The Mics I am looking at are:

MXL 990/991 pack
    MXL V69 and 67
    MXL 2000 series
    Project Studio B1, C1,
    Kel HM-1
    Audio Technica

Any feedback/suggestions is appreciated.

2. fetter

fetter Guest

chosing a mic

Go with the C1. I did extensive research and bought one a year ago. It works wonderfully on a range of different instruments. Are you doing hip hop male or female?

3. cyorkgo

cyorkgo Guest

Re: chosing a mic

Thanks for the recommedation. I am going to be doing both male and female.

4. stickers

stickers Active Member

CEEEEEE OOOONE(sang in a male opera voice)

5. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

I don't know of the others, but my AKG C1000s, is pretty good. It offers battery power, if desired - nice when there's no phantom power available and also has a couple of little plastic "widgets" that one can use to modify the pattern(They DO make a difference...), it can be handheld - and, it is an AKG.

Best, when on a budget, to try for things that will still be of value after being replaced. This mic will do well as a main mic - for now - and as a still very usable piece in the future for all sorts of applications...

Teddy G.

6. Barkingdogstudios

Barkingdogstudios Active Member

If you decide to go with the AKG C1000s, I have two for sale. They both have all of the "widgets" that TeddyG is talking about plus their original boxes, clips etc. $200 takes the pair.

7. Barkingdogstudios

Barkingdogstudios Active Member

Oh, I also have an AKG C3000b which would go for $150. Has the shock mount and original box. Hardly used.

Hope I'm not violating any RO rules!?!?!

8. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Yes, matter of fact you are. There is buy and sell forum here at RO that you should be using. I'll let it slide this time...

9. cyorkgo

cyorkgo Guest

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

10. I have the C1 and for voice, and my acoustic guitar it sounds pretty good

11. sproll

sproll Active Member

Studio Projects C1 for sure...
    Those C1000s aren't what you are looking for. *Waves Jedi hand*

I have one and it's great. We call it our "Secret weapon". :wink:
    Put a Stedman PS-101 pop filter over it and get a Groove Tubes Brick pre-amp (if you can spare the money) and you're good to go!