1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by skenny, Mar 7, 2005.

1. skenny

skenny Guest

um...what's a vst?
  2. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2005
    VST's(Sorry I forget what the abreviation stands for? Virtual something..?) are Steinberg's way of making a "plug-in"(An add-on to an audio recording system, maybe a compressor.). Like a Chevrolet transmission instead of a Volkswagen transmission. Steinberg's(Makers of Cubase, etc.) "formula" for making plug-ins has been adopted for some "other than Steinberg" systems.

Inotherwords, some systems can use VST's, some have to use other types of plug-ins. There are plug-ins "native"(Built-in) to most systems and there are system specific plug-ins, like those for Pro Tools.

Steinberg-type VST's have become somewhat more "universal". Wavelab, for instance, though marketed by Steinberg, comes with both "native" plug-ins(WL's own) and some VST's, and you can buy other plug-ins, from 3rd. parties - Voxengo, WAVES, etc., that work fine. Direct X(DX) plug-ins are also rather more "universal".

I am hoping for others to correct or expand on this subject, as it is confusing to me, as well.

3. midimine

midimine Guest

Virtual Studio Technology (from Steinberg) :lol:

Do a google
    Nice instruments: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~thman/VST/vst-allinstr.htm