1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cleaning Cymbals?

Discussion in 'Rides / Cymbals' started by lk, Apr 23, 2006.

1. lk

lk Guest

Hey, I've got a bunch of really narly looking cymbals. Some of them are nice ones most are not though. I have tried to clean them with brasso with no success. Is there a way to polish them back to new sheen or is it not possible? Does cleaning them help the sound a great deal? I'm not exactly a "drummer" but I like to play and record them.

2. Nirvalica

Nirvalica Guest

yes, althought i have a cheap Pearl ride (yes, the same drum manufacturer pearl) and it didn't take some of the nastyness off of it, but it did get shinier (sp?). anyways, i have zildjian cymbal polish (like $15). the trick with it is to rub rub rub it on like crazy with a cotton towel, then let it dry so the cymbal looks hazy, then buff it off. for fingerprints and such, windex will clean it.

3. lk

lk Guest

Thanks, I'll try that. I know I'm probably not ever going to get them real shiny. ....... shiny cymbals just look so much cooler than grungy tarnished ones. When the day comes that I drop some cash on some real nice ones I'll keep em clean. I guess thats the trick (you have to clean them often).

4. sebmeunier

sebmeunier Guest

COCA COLA !!!!

or Pepsi !

My younger brother told me to try it , and I thaught he was on Glue , but heres a website to add to my case.....I know this sounds crazy , but really IT WORKS !

http://www.howtocleananything.com/docs_articles/hca_article_coke.htm

5. dementedchord

dementedchord Well-Known Member

$ .02

realize that this is going to change the sound.... if your ok with that... curiously enough the shinier you get them the brighter they'll tend to sound.... YMMV..

6. MadTiger3000

MadTiger3000 Active Member

My cousin worked in the Coke bottling plant. That acid is very corrosive, he said. It's like, well, ACID! haahaha.