1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cluster Size

Discussion in 'Recording' started by thedug, Jul 13, 2002.

1. thedug

thedug Guest

So I got my new system built and I created a special hardware profile for recording and was ale to have services shutdown with the profile. Everything is flying! ;)

I was thinking about reformatting my audio drive with an optimized cluster size. Is 64k the best way to go?

If what they say at musicxp.net is correct my 80gig drive should already be 64k clusters.

d./

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Nah....I don't bother with that...NTFS regualr format...FAT32 seems slow to me for some reason..don't know why..
    I guess with the WD JB model drives one doesn't need to worry about what format they use!
    Opus :D

3. themidiroom

themidiroom Active Member

Opus, you use NTFS for recording audio? I wondered if that would work well or not. I would think the fragmentation would be a bit too high.

4. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

No, if you stop the disk performance logging and indexing service it reduces that...the main thing is that defragging takes longer on NTFS..I use it for better security on files as well as not needing to scan disk every time you shut down or restart improperly.
    NTFS works great for me...especially with the WD JB 8MB drives!
    Opus

5. themidiroom

themidiroom Active Member

Thanks for the tip Opus. Maybe the next time I get a new drive, I'll try that. I'm glad win2000 doesn't make you run scandisk after an improper shutdown.