1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

College Dilemma: How to prepare for the business

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by joesmithsonian, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Hey I'm a high school student getting ready for college. I've been accepted to both NYU's Steinhardt music business program and Columbia. Simply put, I love music. I've studied music since I was 5. I also love business. Therefore, I'd like to get involved in the music business. So the big question: should I go to Columbia and get a sturdy liberal arts education? Or, perhaps should I get specialized training for the music business at NYU's Steinhardt? I'd be happy in both situations. Also note: Doug Morris, arguably the most powerful person in the music industry, is a Columbia grad. Hmmm...

Thanks.

2. Firstly, I think you need to determine what type of job you want to do in the music business before you make any decisions. This choice will be a very critical one to your future career so look at all your options. Also, I wouldn't decide on where to go based on someone else's background education, regardless of how powerful they appear.

If you love music, why would you want to do a course on liberal arts? Would something more music related not be more appropriate?

3. taxman

taxman Active Member

Joe, this is a no brainer. NYU is a great school, I have a post graduate degree from NYU Law School. Go to Columbia and get the best liberal arts education you can at an IVY school that will allow you to meet people who will be future leaders in all of their endeavors. Even with your love of music, it is way too early to pick a career path that is so narrow. The music business is not so different from other types of business that you need a dedicated course of study in it. All the knowlege you need about the music business will be available to you at Columbia or anyother great university. Some is available in books, and some you only gain from experience. If you wanted, you could always get the books from the NYU book store or audit a course. The schools might even allow for reciprocal credits. Last I heard, NYU and Columbia were in the same city.

MW, B.A, M.S., J.D., LLM

4. taxman

taxman Active Member

To gain knowlege of the business aspects, get subscriptions to Billboard and Variety