1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Compact Neve/SSL mixers?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by NoEchelon, Jul 9, 2001.

1. NoEchelon

NoEchelon Guest

With DAWs making their stake in the industry do you think Neve, SSL, Euphonics, or any of the other high end large frame console manufacturers will begin making 24, 16 or even 8 channel mixers for DAWs. I would love to have 8 Neve channel strips sitting in front of my Protools at home. The Control24 is a perfect example but will it inspire the other console companies?

Do you guys think it is feasable?
  2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    When is the Cranesong Spider coming out, again? ;) That looks like the heavy weight of the near future, 8 channels with inserts and direct digital channel outs or mix to two channel digital to enter your DAW. It ain't cheap, but if it's Cranesong you know it'll be good. Not a full channel strips, but the I don't believe the Manley or Millennia Media ones have them either.

The problem with these three tends to be price, since you can find a very full featured professional mixer used for not much more. We're not talking top rung, but still, sometimes you get lucky on a lower echelon Trident or something like that.

Oh, I forgot the API four channel preamp with mixer, but I'd imagine that's more of a handy convenience than sonething you'd want to use full time as your primary analog mixer. Probably a beaut for busing drums or mixing a multi-amp guitar sound.

3. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Geoff Daking is making a small format, large sounding desk for use as either a 'side car' to a larger [not quite as good sounding...like an SSL or Euphonix, etc] or for a Pro-Tools rig.

As for 'Spider'...unit one will be shipping on Thursday...others should follow about every 3 or 4 days when the successfully make it through 'burn in'.
  4. subspace

subspace Guest

I'm thinking about an API 1604 console, are the mic pres on the input modules, 515 in this case, the same design as the indvidual 512 pre modules? I assume the board will still be fully functional even though all the 550a EQs and 525c comps have been removed and sold individually? Fully functional besides EQing and compressing that is, have to use outboard for that...
    It fits my "ideal DAW front-end profile" with API pres, 4 buses, cue sends, f/x sends and returns, long-throw fader monitor mixing, control room and talkback sections. A little bigger foot print than the aforementioned solutions but the clients seem to like large, impressive looking stuff anyway...