1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Comping mismatched takes...Lord help me!

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by JohnTodd, Sep 7, 2011.

1. JohnTodd

JohnTodd Well-Known Member

I feel like a total dork. I was recording lead vocals for my latest soon-to-be-rejected-smash-hit. I always do multiple takes and later comp them because I'm terribly self-conscious about my own voice.

Anyway, in my foolishness I must have moved the microphone and kept on recording. So the first few takes are a neutral sound and the last few takes are trebly.

OK, neutral OR trebly I can deal with, but now I have them comped into one take and they are mismatched. I need a way to fix that.

I'm thinking multi-band compressor set to zero in on the treble, but I don't know enough about it. Can someone please help me?

Thanks!

2. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

Sorry about your troubles.

Keep the "neutral" on one track and the "trebly" on another, try to EQ the treble out of the trebly to get it as possible, create a bus for the vocals. If you can't get them to match closely enough - Sorry, you'll have to take 'em again.

3. JohnTodd

That sounds like a great idea. The way the phrasing is on the vocals there are clear breaks between the different mismatches...a little bit of editing and I can split that easily.

Thanks!

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Your never going to be happy with the end result. I'd redo them. I bet something better will evolve while you're at it.

5. JohnTodd

OK, went and redid it. BT was right, something better evolved. My vox was much better this time - much better performance.

THanks guys!