1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Complimentary monitors for NS10's

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by ChrisH, Jan 9, 2015.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Hey everyone, it's been a minute.
    Looking to get some suggestions from you guys for a pair of monitors that are known to be complimentary to Yamaha NS10's. Looking known monitors that that expose flaws in the mix that NS10's don't, hence "complimentary".
    I already use Mixcubes in conjunction with the NS10's.
    Budget limit of $3000.00

2. Reverend Lucas

Reverend Lucas Active Member

Others are more experienced, but I'll chime in my .02 until they do.

Both your pairs of monitors are mid-forward, which are great for pointing out imbalances in that critical frequency range. For something to complement them, I'd personally look for something with as flat a response as possible, to accentuate any imbalances in the rest of the spectrum. I don't have enough experience to recommend specific ones, but there are quite a few options in your budget.

3. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

My buddy Jim likes his dynaduios as a to check his lows. He also uses avantone, and Adams which are mid forward. Guessing the dynaduios give him a more hifi thing, and less fatigue. I love Meyer HD1s for general flatness and honest spectrum, which are at the top of your budget, also, quested has some speakers that bang in the highs and lows. I'd have to check the model I used, but I belve the were 8-9" drivers.

ChrisH likes this.
  4. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Not the easiest question to answer. Everyone knows that NS10s are studio standards, the idea being that if you can get a mix to sound good on them, that it will translate well to other mediums - but there's no doubt that they can be very fatiguing after you are cooking on them for any serious length of time. It's hard to recommend any one monitor in particular because it's such a listener-subjective thing. Off the cuff, I would say that any high quality monitor would suite your needs, but it's all about what you are looking for, in terms of sonic balance. Personally, I would be looking at models that were maybe less mid forward, in that you could use the Yammies for mid balance and then use another model that could give you a more even distribution of lows and highs.
    Just a thought...

5. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

I had a pair of Adam A77X's, they weren't working out for me. Need something that doesn't flatter the sound.

6. Makzimia

Makzimia Active Member

3k = easy, Event Opals. Surprised Chris didn't come in here and say it yet LOL.

bigtree likes this.
  7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

8. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

I don't like them much myself, but possibly a pair of JBls would probably be on par with something to fill out the lows and highs.

I dunno, mixing on mains ruined near fields for me. I'm starting to lean towards the idea of subwoofers and the accosiated acoutstic problems. There's just something more exciting when you can feel the mix, even if it is artificially, also nice is not having to blast the speakers to feel it. Obviously I'm on a tanga t and know subwoofers usually make things worse when talking about acoustic accuracy in a small room, but what about fun? I'm really even wondering how much accuracy even matters compared to picking something that just sounds good. I mean 3k for a pair, is just the price floor of 'high end' monitoring. Twice what my personal ones cost :) but none of these are gonna be ruler flat, neither are the rooms their in. unless the room and monitors are designed with each other in mind, and especially at this price range, I'm wondering if the correct answer to the OP is simply, "whichever sounds subjectively the best'. Lol probably not but, does flat necessarily have to mean sterile? Considering we don't hear flat, and rarely if ever does anyone hear anything in a flat room/system. I'm not argueing the merits of a flat room. I'm more questioning the realavence of flatness in typical residential sized rooms. Timbre is something that can be subjectivly judged, and I'm sure there are plenty of pairs of 'flat' speakers that don't soind the same.

It's funny after over a century of recorded music, and we still have not come across a universally accepted 'perfect' studio acoustically, or the perfect speaker.

I wonder if we are just subconsciously chasing our notion of "great" sound which often times with allot of people is from a past time, and often from there youth. This means also less technologically advanced as well. So are we using better more sophisticated equipment, but chasing a sound far less sophisticated. Just wondering what the role of technical prescient plays in speakers, when the room may or may not reflect a similar quality, and when what's the persons idea of great, was created in technically compromised, guerrilla style rooms. I'm not pulling the old upgrade your room crap, cuz we all know this, it's more a question about what is the most important thing to be looking for in this case.

Also, don't even know what they cost, afraid to check, but those barefoot micro mains look pretty cool.

9. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

I'm leaning that way as well.

NS10's - if your room is well balanced - should allow you to translate mixes to other PB systems and environments without much hassle; this is pretty much what they've become to engineers everywhere; a standard, no-nonsense, translation-trustworthy monitor.
    The downside is - and always as been - that they've never been described by anyone who has ever seriously used them as sounding "nice" or "smooth" or "pleasing". ;) Or, maybe I should say, I've never run into anyone that thinks that Yammies sound "great". They are what they are.

So, in as far as suggesting a companion pair, probably you're best bet is to choose a model that sound best to you, and if at all possible, basing this decision in your own mixing environment.

Because it's so subjective, it's difficult to make suggestions - because what I might like, or what Chris or Kyle or Tony might like, may not be what you like to hear. It's a bit like trying to suggest to someone a particular style of of pizza. ;)

I don't know what kind of relationship you may have with a local store, maybe there's one that knows you well enough - and if you gave them a CC number as a security depo - might allow you to take several different models home (one pair at a time) and try them out?

Or, is there a possibility that you could visit a few pro studios in your region - well designed/built pro rooms - where you could at least get a "sense" of what a particular model of interest sounds like in a well-balanced CR?
    Perhaps check out what they are using...? Or colleagues/friends who have models that you might be interested in, that would allow you to borrow them for an afternoon, to check out in your room?

...Just kinda tossing some thoughts around. :)

d.

ChrisH likes this.
  10. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

I'm leaning towards the Event Opals and Focal CMS 65's
    If only I could hear these in person

11. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I looked at Focal Twin6 for a few years, came close. But like you, I couldn't demo either of them so all I can do is add opinion. I know people who have Focals and I'm not convinced they were the best choice for them either.
    I trust Opals are a better choice to the CMS series. I don't think they will Rock like Opals.
    You don't need subs with them either. I have subs, but they are very accurate down to 40. I'll turn subs off when I use them.

One thing I will say, If I really crank mine, I mean loud, they will fart through a baffle or seal. Not sure what it is, but it is there. There are some people unhappy about that. To me, when they do that, I have way too much bass going on. I would buy two sets of these. I've actually been trying to cut a deal with Event to get a second pair. Thats how much I like mine.

12. pan60

pan60 Active Member

I cant speak for the Event Opals but I love my focals.

13. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Hey Pan, which do you have?

14. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I had a pair of Neumann KH120. They are unflattering in a good way. Wish I could have kept those too. I have wondered about the new version of the KH300's. I don't recall the name but I bet are awesome. I think they are about 35% more than your budget.

15. pan60

pan60 Active Member

I have some CMS 50's here.
    These where sent in for review and I ask if I could keep them for a bit so actually they are on loan.
    The plan has been to swap them out for the CMS 65's.
    For my room I plan to add the Twin6's but that is a bit out.

16. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Great information, thank you.
    I wish I could just hear these monitors we are discussing, if I could hear them I'd know immediately if they would work for me or not.
    The problems is I can't hear them, so I really appreciate everybody's contribution.
    I know the Adam tweeter doesn't work for me, due to their brightness I mixed too little highs and overall they were too forgiving.
    Going with a speaker that technically doesn't sound great unless the mix is absolutely great is what I need, that's why I dig the ns10's.

17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Why change a good thing? Sounds like those are perfect for you, Chris?
    Neumann's sound like something I would be checking out.

Looking at your avatar here, what's above you? Perhaps investing in more acoustic treatment would be better? I have a 6 clouds above me that I think help.

18. audiokid

audiokid Staff

These are what I meant: I bet these would be exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/neumann-kh/home_en.nsf/root/prof-monitoring_studio-monitors_nearfield-monitors_KH310A

19. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

6 inch clouds :)

20. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Chris...
    I've had the Opals for 3 months now and have mixed about a half a dozen songs on them, they are not translating in a good way for me.
    To be clear, I think they are fantastic monitors, they sound amazing, they just don't work for me personally.

What I've learned through this process of owning and living with several sets of monitors (only wish I knew what I knew now) is you absolutely need to try before you buy, not just in the store, not just by demoing with a "reference cd" but take them home and MIX ON THEM, take that mix around and see how it translates.
    I would go as far as saying that if you can't go through that process with them, don't buy them and try out the pair of monitors that you can try out otherwise you're going to be losing money buying and selling, and killing allot of time.
    If you have to, take advantage of that 30 day return policy, purchase the "best" two or three pairs your local store has, take em home, treat them as your own, and discover what works for you.

I believe our hearing is as individual as our looks, so to go off/purchase without really trying out a set of monitors by going off what someone says on the internet doesn't make sense.
    Same thing goes with instruments, I never buy an instruments that I haven't played in person and I buy that exact one cause they all feel, play, and look slightly different even given their the exact same model made on the exact same day, speakers are a little more forgiving though.

So I guess to sum up what I'm saying is don't worry about specs, price tags, or what someone else says, to each is own, find what works for you.

End rant..

kmetal likes this.