1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Compressor advice

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Caisson, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Caisson

Caisson Guest

Im looking for a compressor right now, and I just wanted some reviews on some of the Comp's you guy's use.....

My price range is 0-500$
    I need a good one

2. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

For a little over $200 you can get an Alesis3630 w/the Blacklion audio mods....I hear it makes it a damn decent compressor.

3. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

FMR's RNC is a nice one... Pretty transparent and very usable.

Art's Pro VLA is a sweet tube opto unit - Gentle when you need it, and "a little hair" when you want it.

4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

FMR has a new el-op version of the RNC as well ... something that may be worthwhile.

5. CoyoteTrax

CoyoteTrax Well-Known Member

I like my ART Pro VLA alot for just about everything. Streets at $299.

6. Caisson

Caisson Guest

which would you consider the better unit

1. FMR's RNC
    2. Art's Pro VLA
    3. Alesis3630

and im also open for more units...

7. burn000

burn000 Guest

you can't go wrong with the RNC, it's cheap and good sounding, plus it's a stereo comp

8. Caisson

Caisson Guest

if im tracking mono for vocals is it ok to have a stereo comp

9. burn000

burn000 Guest

if you want to use the RNC mono, just use the left channel. I never tried the ART, but the RNC beat out the crap of a 3630.

Where I live I know some "pro" studios (analog 2" with API, Neve boards...) who use really expensive comp and the RNC !

10. scottme

scottme Guest

You can get hold of a used Drawmer TS2 (tube jobbie). With luck, you could also get it with a digital module. I quite like mine.