1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Compressor for rock/electric guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by lek, Mar 6, 2005.

1. lek

lek Guest

mic pre - I assume api? great river with royer?
    how about for a compressor - what will give a nice fat and present sound?

2. Marcus Black

Marcus Black Guest

You don´t really need to compress distorted guitars.., they´re pretty squashed all by themselves. But when you need it the dbx160VU is one that works very well. (if you happen to have one/find one)

3. J-3

J-3 Active Member

Distressor EL-8x works great for me. Set it for a little bit of comp but really push the unit until it distorts then back it down a bit. Sounds FAT. Don't forget to engage the brit mod.

Old DBX

API?

1176LN

Good luck

4. lek

lek Guest

I do realize that distorted guitar is a pretty squashed signal already, I was just looking to give it more presence and fatness. After some research, it seems maybe either the EL fatso or distressor, or another high end tube comp?

5. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

The Daking compressors are really good...for guitars..okay everything else too. I also like the Distressor. And a secret cheap weapon for bringing out some clarity to already shreaded gits is the Aphex Expressor.Cheep on EEEEbay...

6. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

I dig the Distressor for this exact application.

I'm tracking a speed-metal band this week (lucky me) and although we were getting great clarity out of the guitar tone, it needed a little lovin'. Just a touch of the Distressor at 3:1 did the trick.

My .02
    Chris

7. perfectwave

perfectwave Guest

i verry seldom use compression on guitars , in my opinion the dynamics in most guitars are pretty stable, usually if there is heavy distortion and a lot of chugga chugga palm muting i'll ad a pinch of compression to help even out those chunky transient attacks, but usually i try to eq and only eq after it's on tape to fatten up the guitar sound.