1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Compressor purchase

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Alan V8, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Alan V8

Alan V8 Guest

I am currently looking to purchase a stereo compressor/limiter. So far, the short list is for the Amek 9098DCL, Avalon AD2044, and Manley Vari-Mu. I am primarily working with rock, acoustic, country and light jazz genres. Please let me know your thoughts and experiences with any or all of these, as I am in need of making a decision soon. Thanks very much for your help.

Alan

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Out of those three - Scratch that - Out of every compressor I've ever used, the Manley Vari-Mu is my favorite.

The Pendulum is also pretty hot - Cranesong, Gyraf are also worth looking into.

3. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

yes it your favorite but why?Massive what style of music do you like it for

4. Alan V8

Alan V8 Guest

Thanks for the input, John. I am going to also include a Crane Song STC-8 and Pendulum ES-8 or 6386 (if I can find one) in the mix. I'm sure the Gyraf products are also excellent, but, I'm sticking with products made in the USA whenever I can.
    Thanks again,
    Alan

5. Alan V8

Alan V8 Guest

(addendum to last post)
    The reason the 9098 is on the list is that I have one available nearby.

6. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

I think a more valid question would be what style I DON'T like it for...

Even then, there's no answer.

Well, there was this folk album I was working on a while back... Used an EL-OP instead... An Art Pro VLA to be exact. Not that the VM would've been a bad choice. The recording was just "asking" for the VLA's flavor, and it was handy, so there you go.

7. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Even thou the AMEK is a Rupert Neve design, I don't care for it at the price I usually see it for. The Avalon is a sweet compressor but I wouldn't ever pick for 2-bus or mix bus work. I own three mono and one stereo Manley Vari-Mu's so you can guess what I like and prefer...

Others I like for 2-bus and mix bus: dbx 160SL, Focusrite Blue 230, Alan Smart C2, old Neve 2254.

8. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

I would pick the Manley Vari-Mu.
    It doesn't care what type of music you are recording, it sounds great on just about all sources.

Also, it's very handy for mastering as well. I use it to "glue" a mix together.

and

It will retain it's value better then most.

My $.02

Chris